What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I grow Heliamphora outdoors here in Florida?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I found some Heliamphora Nutans for sale for a very good price. They are really small plants with immature pitchers.

I would like to grow these outside on my patio in my little terrarium where it gets partial sunlight. Would a Heliamphora Nutans be fine on my patio in this terrarium?

porchplants4.jpg

what part of florida do you live? nutans is more of a "true" Heliamphora as far as i know. i would test out H. minor, heterodoxa or hybrids between those two first to test it. it can be warm in the day but if it gets cool at night you should be fine.

Alex

what part of florida do you live? nutans is more of a "true" Heliamphora as far as i know. i would test out H. minor, heterodoxa or hybrids between those two first to test it. it can be warm in the day but if it gets cool at night you should be fine.

Alex

Tampa area. In the summer, it gets to about 90 degrees, but it's a little cooler for the terrarium because it's not in full sun. In the winter, there's the occasional cold snap where it gets down to freezing, but not much frost.

that sounds pretty good actually. cool down a lot at night? just protect them from freezing.

Alex

In Florida, you'd probably be better off with a hybrid, such as H. heterodoxa x nutans, rather than a particular species, since they are far happier with lower daytime temperatures; though, perhaps allowing them to acclimate over winter could help. If you'd be successful or are successful growing Darlingtonia in your area, that opinion would change, since both genera have similar tolerances . . .

What about Heliamphora Minor? It's more compact and can tolerate warmer temperatures.

Why don't you get one of those "lowland" helis from wistuba?

Isn't Minor a lowland Heli?

Also, doesn't Wistuba sell the Heliamphoras as bareroot plants? Wouldn't that be difficult for the plant?

"Lowland" is a bit of a misnomer, since 1000 meters (3280 feet) and above -- where some of the "newer" Heliamphora species occur -- is hardly what one would consider "tropical" weather. They still require cool nights -- and mine are thriving at 12˚C (54˚F) or below.

A hybrid in Florida is still the way to go, followed by H. nutans, H. heterodoxa, and H. minor. Some of my hybrids have seen temperatures in the 40˚C (104˚F) range, though I wouldn't recommend it for any sustained period.

Most species would have been toast . . .

Isn't Minor a lowland Heli?

Also, doesn't Wistuba sell the Heliamphoras as bareroot plants? Wouldn't that be difficult for the plant?

H. minor occurs at 1900-2500 meters (6233-8202 feet), hardly a warm and fuzzy environment up there; and, true, a bare-root, juvenile TC plant wouldn't do too well . . .

"Lowland" is a bit of a misnomer, since 1000 meters (3280 feet) and above -- where some of the "newer" Heliamphora species occur -- is hardly what one would consider "tropical" weather. They still require cool nights -- and mine are thriving at 12˚C (54˚F) or below.

A hybrid in Florida is still the way to go, followed by H. nutans, H. heterodoxa, and H. minor. Some of my hybrids have seen temperatures in the 40˚C (104˚F) range, though I wouldn't recommend it for any sustained period.

Most species would have been toast . . .

H. minor occurs at 1900-2500 meters (6233-8202 feet), hardly a warm and fuzzy environment up there; and, true, a bare-root, juvenile TC plant wouldn't do too well . . .

So, would a Heterodaxa-xMinor do well here in Florida?

In the long run; no. We have tried them on a few occassions, including hybrids. They hang in for a while, but eventually the warm nights take their toll. The only Heliamphoras we know that have done well for an extended period of time (as in years) here in FL were grown in a greenhouse close to evaporative pads where night temps during summer dropped below 68 F.

So, would a Heterodaxa-xMinor do well here in Florida?

Yes, that hybrid should do well; so too would other Heliamphora hybrids. They are all far more tolerant of higher temperatures and "rough" treatment than the contributing species themselves. The old notion of "hybrid vigor" is a cliché, but definitely true.

Remember though, they prefer their roots cool, much like Darlingtonia. Keep them well-watered and even outside at night, if possible . . .

No question the hybrids are tougher, but they still need cool nights. At night during the summer in most parts of FL you can go for months with the temperature never dipping below 75F. It is not the daytime highs in the nineties F that is a problem, but a lack of cool nights. Even the so-called lowland forms need a night temperature below 70 F. We kept H. 'Tequila' alive for years, but they suffered in the long run. Hot summer nights are too frequent, and by the time the plants recover over the course of a winter, it is summer again, and they take another long spell of warm nights. Again, it can be done, but some form of cooling is needed for the summer nights.

No question the hybrids are tougher, but they still need cool nights. At night during the summer in most parts of FL you can go for months with the temperature never dipping below 75F. It is not the daytime highs in the nineties F that is a problem, but a lack of cool nights. Even the so-called lowland forms need a night temperature below 70 F. We kept H. 'Tequila' alive for years, but they suffered in the long run. Hot summer nights are too frequent, and by the time the plants recover over the course of a winter, it is summer again, and they take another long spell of warm nights. Again, it can be done, but some form of cooling is needed for the summer nights.

Air temperature is one thing and root Tb quite another. I have friends who successfully grow Heliamphora species and hybrids outside on patios in Port St. Lucie, Florida and in Austin, Texas for years without a problem. If the roots can remain cool -- much like those of Darlingtonia -- the plant will be fine.

Most people I know in warmer climates, simply provide the plants generous water trays . . .

I would think that even in deep trays the water would still get hot, especially in a hot climate. Deep water doesn't cool roots, cool water cools roots...or so one would think.

I would think that even in deep trays the water would still get hot, especially in a hot climate. Deep water doesn't cool roots, cool water cools roots...or so one would think.

Say what you will, but that is the method being used -- successfully; and it is better than nothing. Also, I don't think that they're placing them under direct sun and there is some minor shelter involved. I was at Peter D'Amato's nursery today, north of San Francisco, and he has Heliamphora growing well in rather sweltering greenhouse conditions -- far warmer than I keep them . . .

You can cook any plant you like -- tropical or otherwise -- if one is too reckless . . .

My patio is in a partially sunny condition. It doesn't heat up too much. I would make sure to protect the roots from heat.

Ok, I'm thinking of ordering either a Heliamphora Minor or a Heterodoxa-Minor from Wistuba.

BigBella, what are your suggestions?

Edit: Heterodoxa-Minor is not for sale right now. This leaves me with H. Minor.

Edit2: Wait, I found a pure Heterodoxa for sale for 20 Euros. The species they are selling comes from the Gran Sabana (and therefore warmer conditions). They are also calling this the easiest Heliamphora around.

No. You will NOT be able to grow Helis outdoors here (even if you live in north Florida). Hybrids won't do well either.

And you should move your Sarracenia out into full sun. They'll do better.

No. You will NOT be able to grow Helis outdoors here (even if you live in north Florida). Hybrids won't do well either.

And you should move your Sarracenia out into full sun. They'll do better.

I know of people in the Ft. Lauderdale, Ocala, and Port St. Lucie areas who successfully grow a fair number of Heliamphora species on their back patios with some shading -- and simply see that their roots are kept cool in water-filled trays. One of my H. folliculata plants -- which sometimes has a reputation for being touchier than other species -- came from a friend there; and it was grown alongside a pool in a terrcacotta pot, beside some great-looking Darlingtonia . . .

Back