User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just Got a Sarracenia. What Kind? Dormancy This Year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daina's Delight is taller and the hoods are curved more to cover the pitcher, and Judith Hindle is shorter and the hoods stick up more?
    Tim

Grow List

bogspot - my blog about my plants

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say you have a Judith Hindle because
    a. your lids stick straight up and are ruffly
    b. Dana's Delight has white spots and red veins, which you don't have, while Judith Hindle has lots more reddish veins and red/green/white smeared lids without the white spots

Here are some young/small pitches just opening - lids of both (from the back)
    Judith Hindle:

Dana's Delight:

(kinda rufflier than usual on this one because the lid hasn't finished opening and coming down)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are "Daina's Delight" and "Dana's Delight" two different plants?
    or is one just a misspelling that has become semi-official?
    (Google brings up both)

I have always believed (and someone correct me if this is wrong) that it's spelled "Dana's Delight" (I have never heard of "Daina" until this thread today) and that Dana's Delight is a pure blooded S. leucophylla with unusual red coloring..

Also that S. leucophylla 'Red' and 'Dana's Delight' are one and the same, but someone gave it a cultivar name and thats how we have Dana's delight..

While 'Judith Hindle' is very much a complex hybrid, which clearly has some leucophylla in it, but is clearly not a pureblooded leuco at all, and its exact parentage is in fact unknown..

is any of that incorrect?

thanks,
    Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is my understanding that the original name for the cultivar was "Daina's Delight" but most people mispelled it "Dana's Delight" and that's how that mistake got perpetuated (Aldrovanda anyone?). The rightful cultivar name should be "Daina's Delight"

Daina's Delight is sometimes also called "Leucophylla Red" due to the fact that it strongly resembles leuco but infused with a lot more red color - which darkens with age. However the name would suggest a variety of a pure species - which it is not and is therefore wrong.

Judith Hindle is a complex cross and I've heard several stories as to how it was created - It is clear that leuco and purp have gone into the mix however who's to say what else is in there.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't ''Aldrovanda'' supposed to be called ''Aldrovandia'' or something? :P Idk, fuzzy memory of something related to that
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokken View Post
    It is my understanding that the original name for the cultivar was "Daina's Delight" but most people mispelled it "Dana's Delight" and that's how that mistake got perpetuated (Aldrovanda anyone?). The rightful cultivar name should be "Daina's Delight"
    And so my reality has just been shattered.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daina's Delight is sometimes also called "Leucophylla Red" due to the fact that it strongly resembles leuco but infused with a lot more red color - which darkens with age. However the name would suggest a variety of a pure species - which it is not and is therefore wrong.

Judith Hindle is a complex cross and I've heard several stories as to how it was created - It is clear that leuco and purp have gone into the mix however who's to say what else is in there.
    Interesting..thanks!

How do you know its not a pure Leuco?
    did someone actually create it and carefully document the parents?

Scot

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

Never mind..Google to the rescue!

Sarracenia 'Daina's Delight' (Daina's Delight Pitcher Plant)
    From Kim Magnuson of Hawaii comes this mid-'90s Sarracenia leucophylla hybrid (Sarracenia leucophylla × Sarracenia x willisii) created by Mark Edwards of New Zealand, who named the plant after his daughter. Sarracenia 'Daina's Delight' (not Dana or Diana) brings even more coloration to the wonderful, white-top pitcher plant. Daina must have really liked rednecks, 'cause the formerly white head and neck on each 2' tall pitcher is sunburn-blister red. As with most rednecks, this one's sure to stand out in your garden. (Zone 5-9)

and the origin of "Dana"

Who developed S.x'Dana's Delght'?

Mark Edwards wrote at 2007-05-20 00:18:11
    Danas Delight is a New Zealand hybrid and was created by me and named after my daughter Daina (spelling error at the TC lab). It is a very red clone of leucophylla x Willisii which Kim Magnuson had put into culture in Hawaii.

Jacob Farin wrote at 2007-07-03 21:44:45
    Thank you Mark for writing in! I've spoken to Kim about this, and he did confirm that he only assisted you in registering the hybrid.

It's too bad the lab misspelled your daughter's name. I'll make the corrections on our website to reflect the correct spelling and the correct history of the plant.

Good growing!
    Jacob Farin
    from: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Carnivoro...d-S-x-Dana.htm

So it appears "Daina's Delight" is correct in the sense that was what Mark intended, as that is the correct spelling of his daughters name..

but "Dana's delight" is also correct, in the sense that was the name it was actually registered with!
    even though it was a "mistake", that ended up being the proper name, and it sounds like the mistake was never officially corrected..

so technically 'Dana's Delight' is correct..
    and 'Daina's delight' while the plant's original intended correct spelling, was never actually officially registered or sold that way..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Scot. That's interesting.
    Tim

Grow List

bogspot - my blog about my plants

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123