What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tough Leaves Growing on Moss in Red Bug Pot?

I have two pots of Red Bugs, and they've always had this mossy stuff growing on top of the soil, which I think is nice. But the other day when peepin' my plants, I saw these leaves. I tried picking one up to see the underside, but it's like they're attached to the moss. Or maybe the moss is attached to it. I got a chunk off (maybe not a good idea?), and it almost seems like a fabric-y plant. What in the world is this?

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0753.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

IMG_0756.JPG

IMG_0759.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

I believe it is a liverwort.

Phylum: Hepatophyta (Liverworts)
live Marchantia (a liverwort).

img010.jpg

Last edited:
I believe it is a liverwort.

Phylum: Hepatophyta (Liverworts)
live Marchantia (a liverwort).

img010.jpg

Heck! What's that mean for me? Should I worry? Should I get rid of them? Am I lucky?

They are not a problem. Yes you are very lucky :). As liverworts are among my favorite.

You will find them co-occuring with CPs in their native habitat. Chances are you just got some spores that germinated in your substrate to give you those liverworts.

Lucky you! I love the Hepatophytes too! Three cheers for the heteromorphic alterations of generations!

Back