User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rapidly yellowing older pitchers normal on new Ceph?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really 2 years is a "good" amount of time? I had thought I was doing everything "by the book" but since it seemed to disintegrate with no warning I figured I must have done something.

I was looking online and it seems that Cephs have almost the same seasonal temp variation as our VFT (except in opposite months due to the southern hemisphere). Has anyone tried growing them like that, allowing it to go dormant in winter? Perhaps that would extend their lives?

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    I was looking online and it seems that Cephs have almost the same seasonal temp variation as our VFT (except in opposite months due to the southern hemisphere). Has anyone tried growing them like that, allowing it to go dormant in winter? Perhaps that would extend their lives?
    I've always wondered the same thing. Most people, including many experienced growers, grow them without any sort of dormancy or seasonal difference in photoperiod. I used to cut down the lights by an hour and a half during the winter but was then told it would make no difference.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cephalotus do not go dormant, they grow non-carnivorous leaves.

From what I've read and been told the climate around Albany is like that of coastal Northern California - with more rain.

Cephalotus grow wonderfully outdoors in many areas of California.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know "dormancy" for them means slowing growth and producing the non-carnivorous leaves but it seems that nobody intentionally puts them through seasonal variation but maybe that's why they only tend to survive a few years in captivity or rather in terrariums? Kind of like a flytrap which also only lasts a couple years in a terrarium. Grown outdoors they obviously are forced to swing with the seasons, perhaps like outdoor flytraps these outdoor Ceph plants also live longer?

My grow shelf lights follow the sun for the succulents (the South Africans are growing now while the US plants are sleeping) so my Ceph is going to be getting 10 hours in midwinter up to 16 hours in midsummer and some temp variation throughout the year (not cold enough to make a flytrap dormant) so we'll see just what it does anyway.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.aqph26.dsl.pipex.com/cephalotusfollip.html

Dormancy is not strictly necessary for this plant and growth can be maintained all year round at daytime temperatures of 68F and above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read that site last night, it's partly responsible for getting me to think about this actually.

I still want to know if more Cephs are living longer than a couple years when kept outdoors exposed to year round light & temp variations compared to plants kept in a terrarium. Even a Ceph in a greenhouse would be getting some seasonal variation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure i agree with the no dormancy statement. My plants completely stop growing for at least 2 months in the winter....i grow them in the greenhouse in a unheated area here in SoCal. It's not a tipical dormancy but it's something.
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Judging from some of the articles and letters in the first issues of the Carnivorous Plant Newsletter Cephalotus follicularis have been in cultivation at least 37 years. It's pretty fascinating seeing growers compare notes on propagation methods and zeroing on the most successful. If giving season cues were an important factor it would most likely be common knowledge by now.

Certainly the closer you can duplicate the plants natural environment the better it will do.

However, you should talk to Peter (pingman). He rarely frequents this forum these days.

He grows some of his C. follicularis outdoors and others indoors under lights. If I recall correctly he does not vary the photoperiod. I also recall him saying he likes they grow under lights rather than outdoors. Yes, his plants flower.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/byblis/2118661021/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/byblis/2119284614/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast