What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowland Heliamphora . . .

Here are two quick shots (please excuse the fogged zip-lock bags; I'll replace the photos later) of new arrivals auf Deutschland. The four plants are all "lowland" unnamed species of Heliamphora. The H. sp. "Foothill Testigos" is said to resemble a pygmy form of H. folliculata (and possibly a "missing link" to H. heterodoxa); and the H. sp. "Lowland" most closely resembles a very colorful and hirsute H. heterodoxa.

Both plants occur at less than 1000 meters (3280 feet) above sea level . . .

Heliamphora sp. "Foothill Testigos"
FOOTHILL-TESTIGOS.jpg

Heliamphora sp. "Lowland"
LOWLAND.jpg

very kewl plants, they msut be a little easier to care for since they are lowland, right? Thanks for sharing

Wow. They look like Sarracenia. Very nice.

Those are some nice little guys. Keep us posted

Nice..

those are on my want list :)
Av

Nice..

those are on my want list :)
Av

Thanks all . . .

I can only hope that I can now find instructions on how to grow live sphagnum . . . somewhere. I think that I'll try doityourself.com. Someone wrote a good original article there . . .

youre enjoying this way too much BB

:p

FINALLY, I can add Heliamphora to my grow list if these are true lowlanders!!!

:boogie::banana2:

FINALLY, I can add Heliamphora to my grow list if these are true lowlanders!!!

:boogie::banana2:

You always could, especially the natural and horticultural hybrids, which tolerate far greater Tb extremes than the "parent" species themselves -- H. nutans x ionasii, H. heterodoxa x ionasii, H. heterodoxa x nutans, H. tatei var. tatei x hispida, H. heterodoxa x minor, and H. "Tequila," chief among them . . .

I hope so! Having only lowland conditions Heliamphora has always been nothing but a wish for me.
My temps never drop below 70 even at night with RH always around 60ish.

Thanks for the hope and good news BB :-D Definitely keep us updated on them!

Very nice! So are you planning to grow them like your other plants or do you intend to try something else with them?

Very nice! So are you planning to grow them like your other plants or do you intend to try something else with them?

Yes, I just figure that I'll grow them along with the others in a highland environment. They should be tolerant of the low night Tbs. I hope.

I don't recall it ever being toasty at three-thousand feet at night -- anywhere; and in San Francisco, it is almost always in the low fifties . . .

Back