What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first Heli! xTequila

• Thread starter dashman
  • Start date
Update.

Still doing good. I have three adult like pitchers now.

The only question is do you think I should mow the lawn? I don't want the spagh to choke out heli growth. Or will it encourage taller growth due to competition?

Oh, here is what is looked like when i got it two months ago when I originally posted this. Wow! what a difference.

helitequila.jpg

Lookin good dashman, great job. My teq just opened its biggest pitcher yet.

hey dashman looking good mine is still doing great, just tried separating, a new growth point on mine i'll let you know how it goes in a month or so, i think it went well, but ?? its my first try with heli.
what are your average temps day and night in that terr. its in mine is upper 70sdays to 63 62 nights , having a little trouble getting that low , i use ice on a vented tube whit holes , how do you cool yours?

I've only had helis for a year, and man these things grow so darn slow.
As Bella & others have observed, the crosses are often more vigorous. I've been growing a minor for some time & it's also very slow. However, I received a new small minor & small pulchella in the fall & both are much faster growing than my original minor. To try & jumpstart it, I repotted it a few weeks ago into the same mix the others are in. Hopefully it will get the idea and speed up. It grows but just very slowly. This fall, it sent up a bloom - so it's not unhappy - just slowwwwww.

Jimmy,

I pay more attention to humidity than temps, but that doesn't mean I dont' pay attention to them. :) It gets 20-24 C during the day and 16-19 during the night. I have a bical growing in the same tank off in a corner away from the lights if that tells you anything. The bical is slow presumably due to temps, but it is pitchering. I am working on a large lowland enclosure so this is it's temporary home as it is the area with the highest humidity.

Humidity is usually 70-75% during the day and 90-100% at night.

Man, I can't wait to get some more heli's!

Jimmy,

I pay more attention to humidity than temps, but that doesn't mean I dont' pay attention to them. :) It gets 20-24 C during the day and 16-19 during the night. I have a bical growing in the same tank off in a corner away from the lights if that tells you anything. The bical is slow presumably due to temps, but it is pitchering. I am working on a large lowland enclosure so this is it's temporary home as it is the area with the highest humidity.

Humidity is usually 70-75% during the day and 90-100% at night.

Man, I can't wait to get some more heli's!
sounds like we have the same temps, and night humidity , my day humidity drops a little more than that but just a little, not much below the 70 mark.
yours is looking great .
I have a young minor that just started its first adult pitcher , it looks so cool with its little nectar spoon.

Lookin good dashman, great job. My teq just opened its biggest pitcher yet.

Thanks! I highly recommend a xTequila for any first time heli grower such as myself. It seems to be pretty fast and pretty non-particular about temps. I cannot comment on humidity as I insure it has rather high humidity throughout the day.

sounds like we have the same temps, and night humidity , my day humidity drops a little more than that but just a little, not much below the 70 mark.
yours is looking great .
I have a young minor that just started its first adult pitcher , it looks so cool with its little nectar spoon.

Good to hear I may have gotten this right. I did spend alot of time researching them. I try to leave nothing to chance. Must be my software engineering background coming through. :)

My temps were guesstimates it is entirely possible they swing more than that especially this time of year. I monitored humiity rather closely the first week or so to insure they were within my desired ranges.

I was hoping mine would have a defined nectar spoon. It is pretty flat up top and the moment. Hopefully this is a pubescent thing. Some of the clones of tequila I have seen do not have a very prominent spoon so I may be SOL there.

mine had several adults when i got it , but slowed down in making the adults ,but is rapidly filling the pot with the juveniles ,
and the adults do seem to have fairly descent spoons, on mine have to wait and see, when it starts more adults.
Yours looks very much like mine except they don,t seem to have a spoon , im not sure if the first adults have spoons.
Av8tor1 will know .
Av8tor1, you there?LOL

yea what is the NASC and how do i join I wana bid too:0o:
very nice Av8tor1

mine had several adults when i got it , but slowed down in making the adults ,but is rapidly filling the pot with the juveniles ,
and the adults do seem to have fairly descent spoons, on mine have to wait and see, when it starts more adults.
Yours looks very much like mine except they don,t seem to have a spoon , im not sure if the first adults have spoons.
Av8tor1 will know .
Av8tor1, you there?LOL

Light level and quality will play a major role in pitcher shape, color and spoon development

Wow. Are all of your heli's this red? I need to get some more lights. Mine is very close to the lights and I only manage to get a crimson lining.

That is a beautiful heli. I will definately be bidding on that.

Pretty much, some species dont get the dark crimson for me... but over half do

very nice Av8tor1

Thanks, there will be at least one adult heli in the auction this year ;)

very nice Av8tor1

It is hosted by this site and happens in March I think. I missed last years because I didn't frequent this forum until only a few months ago.

I have looked over some of last year stuff and can't wait until this year. Even some of the non-cp stuff looks good. I will look over my collection and see if I can give anything to a good cause. I gave most of my disposable neps to a local conservatory, but I am sure I can find something. :)

Thanks dashman ,can anyone bid ?, ill keep and eye out for the auction.
sorry not sure about the spoon issue??? but i'll post a pic of my tequila tomorrow my camera batteries just went out ,
you can see the difference from then till now (this thread , post#13 )fewer adults now but more juvies, and the spoons on the older adult's.
Im presently trying to increase my light through Av8tor1's and sword's help , but having to work out some details before i put them in . I think the light is going to help tremendously.
Av8tor1 has some the best plants I've seen.:hail::
Check out his thumnail list of plants

Dashman,
here are the pics from today the smaller one i seperated a few days back so i hope it survives.

Last edited:
Jimmy,

Why did you only remove one growth point??? Did you take a picture of the plant and its roots before you replanted it??? You'll need to repot it deeper into the LFSM. If you don't it will not thrive. Your Tequila was grown either under (4) fluorescent 48" bulbs, two cool white and two plant grow bulbs. Or one 65 watt 6500K flood light (65 watt = 500 watt incandescent) I don't remember. Temp range 72°F down to 61°F at night. Humidity between 70 and 85% by misting for about 5 minutes (8) times in 24 hours.

ccgpro

think i can remove more. i'll give it a try i only removed enough sphag to get at the one point , im new to this and am afraid of damaging the mother , ill try it if you say, think one or two more, or would you break the whole thing up, i can add more moss to the one i planted though its pretty deep , what do you think up to the point where it starts the bends in the pitchers , i ll try a couple photos if you think its ok to disturb mom further.

Jimmy,

I try not to repeatedly disturb the mother plant. When you decide to split it up, do it all at once. Have a bowl of R/O water to hold them until you get all the divisions split up. Repot the Mother plant first then the divisions. Look at the original picture you took. Thats the correct depth the plant should be planted. Don't forget to fill the pitchers and flush the pot with R/O water to seat the plant. Then place the pot somewhere it can drain for 10 minutes and put it back in your terrarium.
Looking at the picture of your first division the plant looks like its so far out of the Sphagnum that its about to topple over. Plant it 3/4 to one inch deeper, you don't want the roots (that) exposed to the air.
You can always add more LFSM, but adding it now would have only 100% LFSM wrapped around the plant at that point. I feel this would be too wet for the young plant at this stage of its growth.

ccgpro

Back