What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora tatei var. neblinae x hispida (Cerro Neblina)

Nifty! Where did you get a spectrometer? Crazy expensive?

I've been wondering about using those reptile UV bulbs over HL plant tanks would do anything as far as UV output that the plants may enjoy. One could use a desert UV bub and a tropical UV bulb for the hot and cool end UV.

Nah.... a decent one is about 35USD http://sciencekit.com/project-star-spectrometer/p/IG0023913/

(stay away from the telescope like pakistani made brass models, pure crap)

Not sure about using reptile bulbs.... might be too much. The Giesemann is suppose to be a more "natural" blending of spectra.

But you dunno till you try, you wouldnt believe the number of bulbs Ive tried over the years :)

Av

Cool! I imagined over $100. Might be a fun toy to add to my ever growing pile.

The reptile UVs do come in different strengths 2, 5 and 10. While I was looking for 12V PC fan wiring info a couple weeks ago I had come across some naughty plant farmer websites. A few of whom used the reptile UV lights to supplement their regular grow lights. They claimed the extra UV raised alkaloid levels, thus making the plants more naughty...

I'd just be interested to see if Neps and Helis color up nicer! lol

Wow is a vast understatement.

Great looking Heli :-O
Mine has been painfully slow to get anywhere! The main plant died this year after only producing a few small adult pitchers and them reverting to juveniles. Thankfully I did take a couple of small divisions but these are slow as well. One day I may see an adult pitcher- and after seeing your plant that day needs to hurry up!!

Nice setup you have as well.

cheers

bill

As far as reach, my helis are on the top shelf close to the lights and my neps ae on the bottom shelf. I would say the reach is pretty good... I seem to get decent enough color

It is actually too intense for neps on the top shelf, but helis love it

Currently, Im experiementing with a new bulb choice. Early indications are its going to take things to the next level. Im pretty excited about them.

HTH's
Av

Its too intense for your neps? Wow, I didn't know that they were that powerful. How far exactly are most of your neps from the light? For some reason I was under the impression only your helis grew under those lights.

Also, awesome plant and color. I hope my H. hispida Cerro Neblina looks something like that when it becomes an adult.

24-30" or so..., all my indoor plants grow under these lights,
Helis on the top shelf, most everything else on bottom shelf or floor

I dislike the term "lumen" for plant use, but its over 30,000 lumens with 95% efficient reflectors

Av

Back