User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heliamphora tatei var. neblinae x hispida (Cerro Neblina)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Gasp! lol

This is the North American Sarracenia Conservation Society auction which gets held on TF every year. Members put up plants or supplies as donations to the cause and whenever the winners of the auction pay up the $ to the members who are in charge (Scholaty and PlantAKiss IIRC) then the "seller" (donator) sends their plant(s) or supplies they donated to the winner. I'll be bidding on this bad boy for sure if it goes up!

Av8tor,
    Thanks for the info on the setup. Are the 6x 54W T5s inside the tank or separated from the growing area by glass? I've read that those are some very hot running tubes but they seem to be getting popular. Do you have a 125W Horticultural CFL bulb running anywhere at your place? I'm just curious how hot the T5s are compared to those. I have a couple of the 125s for deep tanks and they do run warm but can reach pretty well but only good for a 2' x 2' area.

Do the T5s have a good reach say a 30"? Just thinking about whether to try a T5 kit or buy a few 125s for a long & deep HL setup.
    Swords,

No glass seperates the two in my setup. The do run hot, I have measured mine around 160f at the center of the bulb.

Sorry mate, I dont have any 125w CFL, cant comment on those

As far as reach, my helis are on the top shelf close to the lights and my neps ae on the bottom shelf. I would say the reach is pretty good... I seem to get decent enough color

(Moved to top shelf to take the pic)

Typical ventricosa on lower shelf

It is actually too intense for neps on the top shelf, but helis love it

Currently, Im experiementing with a new bulb choice. Early indications are its going to take things to the next level. Im pretty excited about them.

HTH's
    Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. The Neps indeed look plenty happy and colorful!

By 'bulb choice' do you mean a higher K rating to simulate higher altitude or something else?

My original compact fluorescent setup was a JBL reef fixture with 2x 55 w 10,000 K bulbs (but not actinic blue). This was the whitest light I've ever had and gave really nice colors on my first HL Nep collection (when it was small). However, it seems almost all you can get anymore in 10K is the actinic blue bulbs. I had a 10K actinic 400W metal halide bulb that came with my ballast and I would actually describe that as "dim". I had to order the 5500K immediately. It would have been like trying to grow the plants with a blacklight.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. The Neps indeed look plenty happy and colorful!

By 'bulb choice' do you mean a higher K rating to simulate higher altitude or something else?

My original compact fluorescent setup was a JBL reef fixture with 2x 55 w 10,000 K bulbs (but not actinic blue). This was the whitest light I've ever had and gave really nice colors on my first HL Nep collection (when it was small). However, it seems almost all you can get anymore in 10K is the actinic blue bulbs. I had a 10K actinic 400W metal halide bulb that came with my ballast and I would actually describe that as "dim". I had to order the 5500K immediately. It would have been like trying to grow the plants with a blacklight.
    Actually Im a fan of the 5000k to 6000k range, but Im hoping to spread out on each end of the spectrum just a little.

Here is what i was using (which performed excellent IMHO)
    German Narva 5000k

and here is what Im playing with:
    German Giesemann 6000k (Made by Narva BTW)

Of course my spectrometer only tells part of the story, you cant see the energy reaching into the near UV and IR spectra

So here is a graphical representation:

Notice the above 600nm and below 450nm performance

The Giesemann Midday is a wide spectrum with 5 Phosphor peaks instead of the typical 3. Im hoping the additional long and short wave energy will give me that little extra umpf I want. (NASA is playing with the 5 peak profile)

Bad thing is price, Ive got as much in one Giesemann as I do in the the whole case of Narva

Time will tell, if they don't do the job, they will go to my bulb reject pile in the basement and the Narvas will go back in.

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nifty! Where did you get a spectrometer? Crazy expensive?

I've been wondering about using those reptile UV bulbs over HL plant tanks would do anything as far as UV output that the plants may enjoy. One could use a desert UV bub and a tropical UV bulb for the hot and cool end UV.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nifty! Where did you get a spectrometer? Crazy expensive?

I've been wondering about using those reptile UV bulbs over HL plant tanks would do anything as far as UV output that the plants may enjoy. One could use a desert UV bub and a tropical UV bulb for the hot and cool end UV.
    Nah.... a decent one is about 35USD http://sciencekit.com/project-star-s...r/p/IG0023913/

(stay away from the telescope like pakistani made brass models, pure crap)

Not sure about using reptile bulbs.... might be too much. The Giesemann is suppose to be a more "natural" blending of spectra.

But you dunno till you try, you wouldnt believe the number of bulbs Ive tried over the years

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool! I imagined over $100. Might be a fun toy to add to my ever growing pile.

The reptile UVs do come in different strengths 2, 5 and 10. While I was looking for 12V PC fan wiring info a couple weeks ago I had come across some naughty plant farmer websites. A few of whom used the reptile UV lights to supplement their regular grow lights. They claimed the extra UV raised alkaloid levels, thus making the plants more naughty...

I'd just be interested to see if Neps and Helis color up nicer! lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow is a vast understatement.
    - NeciFiX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking Heli
    Mine has been painfully slow to get anywhere! The main plant died this year after only producing a few small adult pitchers and them reverting to juveniles. Thankfully I did take a couple of small divisions but these are slow as well. One day I may see an adult pitcher- and after seeing your plant that day needs to hurry up!!

Nice setup you have as well.

cheers

bill

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast