Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Late Fall Heliamphora . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice plants! They all look fantastic.

Also, is that H. hispida my plants mother?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey BigB-

Those are some Heli-uva nice plants you got there

Good Growing and Happy Holidays
    E
    "My Greatest Fear Is, When I Die, The Missus Will Sell All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Got It For"

I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed, because I thought, Damn. I am less nurturing than a desert.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BB, your Helis are most impressive looking. Once I saw the hand holding the pot, and was able to use it as a size reference, I was duly convinced just how impressive your Helis really are. Keep up the good growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great plants you have there Big Bella. How do you get such nice red coloration in your heliamphora? Could it be colder night temperatures trigger a deeper red in the pitchers, or do they always have that deep red color because of the light they are getting? Either way keep up the good work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtics2008 View Post
    Great plants you have there Big Bella. How do you get such nice red coloration in your heliamphora? Could it be colder night temperatures trigger a deeper red in the pitchers, or do they always have that deep red color because of the light they are getting? Either way keep up the good work.
    Thanks . . .

Many Heliamphora achieve that color in the presence of sustained bright light while other clones may remain greenish in the pot next to them (it varies). That reddening response of the anthocyanin pigment is also thought to be a protective measure on the part of the plants to avoid "high light stress" or photoinhibition -- a "sunscreen" after a fashion.

Considering where these plants are native and at what altitudes, it doesn't come as a great surprise . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtics2008 View Post
    Yah, what BigB said.

Here is a thread kinda talking (more like reading about "Light Stress")

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=120505

But that first one is sure purdy

E
    "My Greatest Fear Is, When I Die, The Missus Will Sell All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Got It For"

I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed, because I thought, Damn. I am less nurturing than a desert.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Bella, Thanks for clearing that up about heliamphora and red coloration due to lighting...

My question about the temperature and color change only arose from the fact that a related genus (sarracenia), specifically S. purpurea takes on a much more red pigmentation once the temperature drops (i.e freezing temperatures) and not necessarily due to intense light. I thought Heliamphora may react similarly to cooler night time temperatures, however it appears my thinking was incorrect.

@ Entwadumela - Anothcyanin in plants does protect plants from environmental stresses such as sun light, but also acts as a measure to protect the plant from diseases too. Red pigment doesn't always mean " a light stress reaction" although in many cases such as what Big Bella referred to, anthocyanin acts as a "sun screen of sorts". It may also be an attractant for pollinators, or like S. purpurea, a reaction to environmental stress. Thanks for your thread though referencing light stress and pigmentation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Entwadumela - Anothcyanin in plants does protect plants from environmental stresses such as sun light, but also acts as a measure to protect the plant from diseases too. Red pigment doesn't always mean " a light stress reaction" although in many cases such as what Big Bella referred to, anthocyanin acts as a "sun screen of sorts". It may also be an attractant for pollinators, or like S. purpurea, a reaction to environmental stress. Thanks for your thread though referencing light stress and pigmentation.
    I didn't intend to suggest that the red coloration was simply a stress reaction (otherwise I would be doing my plants little benefit).

Anthocyanin have also been linked to camouflage -- reduced rates of herbivory by animals visually incapable of detecting red wavelengths, as well as serving as aposomatic -- warning -- coloration to signal something noxious or toxic . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast