Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a couple of death cube Darlingtonia today

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my now they have Darlingtonias in the cubes?!When would these death cube will come to Malaysia

P.S. I can see your huge venus flytrap's trap..red

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darlingtonia from lowes are coastal? Aren't the coastal forms the ones that rarely see temps below freezing and are harder to grow? Nice plants anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice. I wish my local Lowes would start selling CPs again.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woo, I'll have to go check the plant section when I go to return the busted timer I got from them the other day. Last I checked they were down to crispy-looking Neps and brown D. adelae.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Darlingtonia from lowes are coastal? Aren't the coastal forms the ones that rarely see temps below freezing and are harder to grow? Nice plants anyway.
    No. They aren't "coastal" or "mountain" because there is absolutely no way of telling where they came from.

It would be way more appropriate to label them a "tolerant" or "difficult" clone, if they really must be labeled at all.

As I've said before...
    All of my cobras are from Lowe's and frequently experience temps in the high 90's during the summers here in NC. I treat them no differently from my Sarrs, other than not exposing them to afternoon sun.

Don't let some silly so-called classification stop you from purchasing one of these plants.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice cobras! However, they're coastal forms, and will probably be a bear to keep happy.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    w03, keep in mind of my climate.
    i live just north of their natural habitat, and in the same zone.
    My mountain variety, which is the last photo, does amazingly well here, and the person i got that one from also has several coastal forms....ive got faith in em. they havent been in the deathcubes for too long judging by their appearing..

Quote Originally Posted by theyellowdart View Post
    No. They aren't "coastal" or "mountain" because there is absolutely no way of telling where they came from.

It would be way more appropriate to label them a "tolerant" or "difficult" clone, if they really must be labeled at all.

As I've said before...
    All of my cobras are from Lowe's and frequently experience temps in the high 90's during the summers here in NC. I treat them no differently from my Sarrs, other than not exposing them to afternoon sun.

Don't let some silly so-called classification stop you from purchasing one of these plants.
    Their might not be much of a physical different, but that doesnt mean much of anything. People use coastal and mountain to describe their location. the mountain local plants are more tolerant than the coastal local plants, there are many people who can vouch for that including myself...i had a couple of other cobras i picked up from lowes and a place i worked at that just died on me in the hot temps while the mountain local plants just kept flourishing.
    So, people should be steady on what they buy especially if they have no clue how to keep them alive, cobras (mountain or coastal location types) are still difficult to care for in most circumstances. just because you can care for a cobra like that doesnt mean everyone else can. its just lucky you. many people cant grow them, climates just dont support it most of the time.
    Its like me trying to grow a lowland nepenthes here, i just cant do it without some sort of crazy elaborate set up to keep everything hot and humid.

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    Their might not be much of a physical different, but that doesnt mean much of anything. People use coastal and mountain to describe their location. the mountain local plants are more tolerant than the coastal local plants, there are many people who can vouch for that including myself...i had a couple of other cobras i picked up from lowes and a place i worked at that just died on me in the hot temps while the mountain local plants just kept flourishing.
    So, people should be steady on what they buy especially if they have no clue how to keep them alive, cobras (mountain or coastal location types) are still difficult to care for in most circumstances. just because you can care for a cobra like that doesnt mean everyone else can. its just lucky you. many people cant grow them, climates just dont support it most of the time.
    Its like me trying to grow a lowland nepenthes here, i just cant do it without some sort of crazy elaborate set up to keep everything hot and humid.

We've been through this before.

People use coastal and mountain to describe their location. the mountain local plants are more tolerant than the coastal local plants
    Yes, but that's not what I am disagreeing with.

People are using these terms too loosely. How could you possibly say that a plant came from a certain location when you have no clue of it's origin? It just doesn't make sense.
    A plant that you are calling "mountain" could actually be a tolerant "coastal." Or another option, as you suggested, is the person is either lucky or unlucky (relating to environment) with a certain plant. If a person can grow a true coastal form with ease outside of their natural habitat, does that make it a mountain form?
    (Catch my drift?)

..i had a couple of other cobras i picked up from lowes and a place i worked at that just died on me in the hot temps while the mountain local plants just kept flourishing.
    How do you know these plants weren't dying or if they had something wrong with them in the first place? The hardware store cp's are never in perfect shape

I guess we'll see how it goes for you with these.

So, people should be steady on what they buy especially if they have no clue how to keep them alive, cobras (mountain or coastal location types) are still difficult to care for in most circumstances.
    Of course.. But everyone has to start somewhere. Why kill yourself going on some wild goose chase for a true mountain form when you can just pick up a $5 plant from Lowe's and take a crack at it? Sure, there's a chance you may not have "luck" keeping it alive, but apparently I did.

just because you can care for a cobra like that doesnt mean everyone else can.
    No, it doesn't mean everyone else can... But you never know until you try.

The only reason I state my success is because of how (apparently) extreme my conditions are from the normal cultivation methods for these plants.

Matt
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast