What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Picked up a couple of death cube Darlingtonia today

That's great, Drew. How will you go about keeping it?

under a light

Uh-oh. You probably know this already, but cobras need a lot of light. (at least 10000 lumens). That's equal to 10 or more of the curly energy-saving bulbs. (or 14 of the regular light bulbs)

w03
darlingtonia dont need near as much light as Sarracenia, and ive seen them grown under lights quite successfully for a few months atleast till they are able to go outside.
Currently the 2 i got from Lowes are under 2 CFLs.
ive seen a lot of photos with Darlingtonia in shade under trees and partially into the woods/forest.

Hey SirKristoff, nice find. I went to Lowe's and they had some there as well - thanks for the heads up. I picked up a medium healthy one and put it under my lights. This is going to be a challenge and a learning experience; looking forward to it.

Good luck on yours too.

SK: Really?, I didn't know that. I guess I still have a lot to learn. Thanks for that bit of info. :)
In any case, I'm sure that more light wouldn't hurt, bar the concern of overheating.

yesterday i received a rather large order of sarracenia and darlingtonia, hopefully they as well make it through the winter, they were already dormant but are now in my unheated greenhouse. a couple of them were rather large, hoping for flowers next year on them

currently the darlingtonia from lowes are alive and growing steadily....i lost a couple of the darlingtonia from my order though, dormant and uprooted with barely any roots when they arrived, and we got hit with a severe freeze in december...did away with a couple smaller ones...as well my B52 VFT....i always lose the b52s in winter :\

Totally off topic, but a woman came into the Depot a few days ago, wearing a Puyallup Vikings hoody. I'm like, hey, I know a couple people from there! But she didn't know you or Homer League.

HAHAHHA PHS....PEW PEWWWWW xDDDDDDDD
i went to ERHS ;)
but very cool either way ;) puyallup is a pretty small town but we have the largest fair in the northwest :D

Here is a photo of my larger one out of the two from lowes, the small one is growing too but isnt quite as photogenic....has immature pitchers again but atleast its growing
cobras-1.jpg

Beautiful! Kris, do you water them daily, with refrigerated (or cold) water? And what's the media you're using? You obviously seem to be having success with these (although you do live in Darlingtonia county ;) )

I've got about 20 Darling seeds which should germinate during the following weeks, with 40 more coming out of stratification very soon. I'm using a top layer of live LFS (with peat/sand under it), and misting the pot with cold water (don't know if that's necessary).

Great job growing those ''Death cube'' rescues!

lol mantis actually i tray them and they stay around 70 degrees all day and about 60 at night (since its in my room growing as a lowland plant basically ;p
the media is what it came in from lowes which is pure LFS (my choice anyway for darlings) and actually has some live stuff in it! very surprised with that, i never see live stuff in the pots there....
my last death cube rescue was a ventricosa from florida which i sold off to a friend of mine, and then previously i did about a 400$ or so value purchase which about 90% of lived, the ones that died were adelaes...could honestly care less about those though, they tried to come back from the roots last year (stupidly put a couple in my minibogs before i knew they were adelaes since at the time they were insanely etiolated) lol.

Back