What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Picked up a couple of death cube Darlingtonia today

went to Lowes to buy some sphagnum moss and other potting materials, and came across a fresh order of CPs...in that, there were 2 darlingtonia, a cute small one and a pretty decent sized one....Since they are in active growth and our temps are now hitting pretty well below freezing at night, im just going to skip this dormancy and grow em under my lights.
So here they are. lid is off of the death cube and i added some water to em to keep em happy.
Also i have a couple pics of my Mountain form, still looks great even though its dormant now
The smaller of the two from lowes
DSC02926.jpg

the larger one
DSC02925.jpg

group shot
DSC02927.jpg

and now my baby that is headed into its second dormancy with me, a few of you have divisions of this plant....
CPs12-1-09002.jpg

CPs12-1-09001.jpg

Sleeping space for the dormant Sarrs, VFTs, Dews, and Cobras...
CPs12-1-09004.jpg

CPs12-1-09003.jpg

Hiya SK-

In the last pic, is your LW's among them?

If not, will we get to see a pic of your new rare sarrs?

E

Those look like a nice acquisition Kriss
Time will tell if they continue to develop pitchers that size.
Also, your Sarracenia collection seems to be growing.
Which reminds me... Still interested in my S. oreo (sand mtn) x leuco?

Yes they are Ent, the large orange pot on the right and the 6" green plastic pot right next to it....the two tallest sarracenia in the photo.
the large orange pot on the left is a community of S. flava varieties lol
yeah, RFT, i am. gotta sort some stuff out first though

Dang. I never find plants that healthy in Lowes.

Dang. I never find plants that healthy in Lowes.

Lol i was lucky to find those 2 darlingtonia like that, they had some healthy VFTs and sarrs too but i didnt have the $ to spend on all of that especially at this time of the year.

i hope they live, id really like to see how they grow alongside my mountain form since the 2 from lowes are coastal.

Good catch on that large LW. Its gonna be a monster :0o: once its establish and grows for ya.

Good Luck on your sarr collecting :banana2:

E

Oh my now they have Darlingtonias in the cubes?!When would these death cube will come to Malaysia???

P.S. I can see your huge venus flytrap's trap..red

Darlingtonia from lowes are coastal? Aren't the coastal forms the ones that rarely see temps below freezing and are harder to grow? Nice plants anyway.

Nice. I wish my local Lowes would start selling CPs again.

Woo, I'll have to go check the plant section when I go to return the busted timer I got from them the other day. Last I checked they were down to crispy-looking Neps and brown D. adelae.
~Joe

Darlingtonia from lowes are coastal? Aren't the coastal forms the ones that rarely see temps below freezing and are harder to grow? Nice plants anyway.

No. They aren't "coastal" or "mountain" because there is absolutely no way of telling where they came from.

It would be way more appropriate to label them a "tolerant" or "difficult" clone, if they really must be labeled at all.

As I've said before...
All of my cobras are from Lowe's and frequently experience temps in the high 90's during the summers here in NC. I treat them no differently from my Sarrs, other than not exposing them to afternoon sun.

Don't let some silly so-called classification stop you from purchasing one of these plants.

Nice cobras! However, they're coastal forms, and will probably be a bear to keep happy. :-(

w03, keep in mind of my climate.
i live just north of their natural habitat, and in the same zone.
My mountain variety, which is the last photo, does amazingly well here, and the person i got that one from also has several coastal forms....ive got faith in em. they havent been in the deathcubes for too long judging by their appearing..

No. They aren't "coastal" or "mountain" because there is absolutely no way of telling where they came from.

It would be way more appropriate to label them a "tolerant" or "difficult" clone, if they really must be labeled at all.

As I've said before...
All of my cobras are from Lowe's and frequently experience temps in the high 90's during the summers here in NC. I treat them no differently from my Sarrs, other than not exposing them to afternoon sun.

Don't let some silly so-called classification stop you from purchasing one of these plants.

Their might not be much of a physical different, but that doesnt mean much of anything. People use coastal and mountain to describe their location. the mountain local plants are more tolerant than the coastal local plants, there are many people who can vouch for that including myself...i had a couple of other cobras i picked up from lowes and a place i worked at that just died on me in the hot temps while the mountain local plants just kept flourishing.
So, people should be steady on what they buy especially if they have no clue how to keep them alive, cobras (mountain or coastal location types) are still difficult to care for in most circumstances. just because you can care for a cobra like that doesnt mean everyone else can. its just lucky you. many people cant grow them, climates just dont support it most of the time.
Its like me trying to grow a lowland nepenthes here, i just cant do it without some sort of crazy elaborate set up to keep everything hot and humid.

Their might not be much of a physical different, but that doesnt mean much of anything. People use coastal and mountain to describe their location. the mountain local plants are more tolerant than the coastal local plants, there are many people who can vouch for that including myself...i had a couple of other cobras i picked up from lowes and a place i worked at that just died on me in the hot temps while the mountain local plants just kept flourishing.
So, people should be steady on what they buy especially if they have no clue how to keep them alive, cobras (mountain or coastal location types) are still difficult to care for in most circumstances. just because you can care for a cobra like that doesnt mean everyone else can. its just lucky you. many people cant grow them, climates just dont support it most of the time.
Its like me trying to grow a lowland nepenthes here, i just cant do it without some sort of crazy elaborate set up to keep everything hot and humid.

We've been through this before.

People use coastal and mountain to describe their location. the mountain local plants are more tolerant than the coastal local plants
Yes, but that's not what I am disagreeing with.

People are using these terms too loosely. How could you possibly say that a plant came from a certain location when you have no clue of it's origin? It just doesn't make sense.
A plant that you are calling "mountain" could actually be a tolerant "coastal." Or another option, as you suggested, is the person is either lucky or unlucky (relating to environment) with a certain plant. If a person can grow a true coastal form with ease outside of their natural habitat, does that make it a mountain form?
(Catch my drift?)

..i had a couple of other cobras i picked up from lowes and a place i worked at that just died on me in the hot temps while the mountain local plants just kept flourishing.
How do you know these plants weren't dying or if they had something wrong with them in the first place? The hardware store cp's are never in perfect shape

I guess we'll see how it goes for you with these.

So, people should be steady on what they buy especially if they have no clue how to keep them alive, cobras (mountain or coastal location types) are still difficult to care for in most circumstances.
Of course.. But everyone has to start somewhere. Why kill yourself going on some wild goose chase for a true mountain form when you can just pick up a $5 plant from Lowe's and take a crack at it? Sure, there's a chance you may not have "luck" keeping it alive, but apparently I did.

just because you can care for a cobra like that doesnt mean everyone else can.
No, it doesn't mean everyone else can... But you never know until you try.

The only reason I state my success is because of how (apparently) extreme my conditions are from the normal cultivation methods for these plants.

Matt

The plants i bought before were fresh from the truck load of straight from the nursery in the case of the stuff i bought from the store i worked at which was a pet and plant store, i took care of the plants there and everything, i know they were healthy. ive got old pics somewhere of the plants while they were at the store before i bought a couple of them. stuck them outside after slowly acclimated em, and even then boom.
Generally its know that the plants in deathcubes originated from the coastal locations. Mountain location only just recently became available through a few CP vendors, and even then they arent sold very often.
The stuff i received at the place i worked at, i was good friends with the supplier for awhile before we lost contact. He said his plants originated from divisions and TC he performed after a friend of his collected seed some 10 or 15 years back from a rather colorful, strong growing group of coastal cobras.
you might get lucky and get a stronger clone of the coastal location clones, but if you dont, youd better figure out a way to baby the hell out of it because its more than likely gonna fuss over something.
The mountain location type has adapted more to extreme variations in temperatures, humidity, etc. and is more tolerant because of that, people use variety to seperate the two because its more simple, sure there generally isnt any morphological difference between the two, but those of us with experiance between the two varieties will generally swear by the mountain location plants.

Nice job! You're obviously meeting the needs of the plant, regardless of its origin.

Generally its know that the plants in deathcubes originated from the coastal locations. Mountain location only just recently became available through a few CP vendors, and even then they arent sold very often.
The stuff i received at the place i worked at, i was good friends with the supplier for awhile before we lost contact. He said his plants originated from divisions and TC he performed after a friend of his collected seed some 10 or 15 years back from a rather colorful, strong growing group of coastal cobras.
you might get lucky and get a stronger clone of the coastal location clones, but if you dont, youd better figure out a way to baby the hell out of it because its more than likely gonna fuss over something.
The mountain location type has adapted more to extreme variations in temperatures, humidity, etc. and is more tolerant because of that, people use variety to seperate the two because its more simple, sure there generally isnt any morphological difference between the two, but those of us with experiance between the two varieties will generally swear by the mountain location plants.

I'll throw in my 2¢; Phenotypic Plasticity. My personal experience has been that, for one, properly potted Darlingtonia labeled as "coastal" perform quite well in even in sweltering conditions. Further, "coastal" stands of Darlingtonia regularly see the full brunt of Oregon midsummer heat waves, and the plants in situ handle them just fine. I feel there's an undeniable possibility that heat tolerance and vigor is not directly correlated to location at all.
I've grown these plants from seed for five years now and have seen huge variability in durability and preferences among my plants, and I'm sure that if I'd grown them indoors, the seedlings that succeeded and survived would have totally different mean characteristics than the crop I have on my porch. It's often the case that a species' genetic variability produces offspring with a spread of different growth rates and preferences, simply as a matter of insurance against unpredictable events like droughts, landslides, flooding, climate changes, etc.
I'd be willing to bet money that two batches of seed from differing locations would yield roughly the same number of desirable adult clones if well cared for in identical artificial conditions (as in potted, but still with natural sun and exposure to weather.) I would expect the mountain plants to produce slightly more due to the conditions those groups see, but they would be on the same order of magnitude (relative to seed/seedlings started) as the coastal strains - I wouldn't be surprised if coastal came out on top, either. The probabilities related to the genetics of the matter are too delicate for reliable intuitive reasoning.
I don't think this question can be properly argued without at least one survey of plants with location data and possibly genetic testing as well. Can any of us say that our cultural practices are really scientifically objective? Darlingtonia cultivation still isn't very well understood; I think it's more important to focus on things like conservation and study. I, for one, find it very informative to see the number of success stories like in the original post - even abused death cube plants can often be rehabilitated.
~Joe

my lows just got a shipment of cobra lillys 2 :D picked 1 up a little bit ago

Back