What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus Hydroponics

While searching for something else I stumbled across this thread, and had a question.

With the clay aggragate top dressing are you getting moss growing on it? Provided you have high enough humidity to grow the moss. I'm still looking for a good way to not grow moss :-)).

I set up a larger version of this about the same time, although I'm not using any nutrients. So far I'm having no problems growing any of the CPs in there like this.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121824

Back to my searching.

With the clay aggragate top dressing are you getting moss growing on it? Provided you have high enough humidity to grow the moss. I'm still looking for a good way to not grow moss
Unfortunately, yes it supports moss. I have actualy had to de-commission this setup as it got overrun with algae. The reason for the algae bloom was due to light being able to enter the nutrient reservoir.

Unfortunately, yes it supports moss. I have actualy had to de-commission this setup as it got overrun with algae. The reason for the algae bloom was due to light being able to enter the nutrient reservoir.

Atleast it would be easy to fix that problem with your setup, so far I have not had a bloom but I have algae growing in the water. I don't see it being a problem for me as I could tear down/clean and completely rebuild it in about 1 hour.

Someday I'll figure out how to not grow mosses.

Someday I'll figure out how to not grow mosses.
.... & then share the solution with the rest of us... :-O

I'm trying to use a topcoat of 1/8 - 1/4" of sand. If the sand is too fine, it only slows the mosses but doesn't stop them. I've got to get some larger grained sand to try some more. However, even if this works, it won't work for the really small-leaf utrics - only the ones that have foliage large enough to make it through the topcoat.

Moss colonizes the aquasoil?

.... & then share the solution with the rest of us... :-O

I'm trying to use a topcoat of 1/8 - 1/4" of sand. If the sand is too fine, it only slows the mosses but doesn't stop them. I've got to get some larger grained sand to try some more. However, even if this works, it won't work for the really small-leaf utrics - only the ones that have foliage large enough to make it through the topcoat.

Moss colonizes the aquasoil?

Yes is does grow in the Aquasoil, but at a much slower rate than anything else. Oddly enough if I just give the moss growing in the Aquasoil a haircut the moss all dies. Really weird.

I'm also looking for a good range of sands, no luck locally thou.

I've seen people cut up plastic/styrofoam picnic plates to make collars for their plants to keep light off of the media. Not 100% moss-/algae-proof, but better than no covering at all.
~Joe

Hydroponic stores sell them too,
plastic & coir type....

Small but nice setup there. Had you just brought this setup on the experiment basis or you grow it yourself.any ways that is nice setup and will be beneficial to us in experimenting there.

Back