Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Cephalotus is on life-support

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Cephalotus is on life-support

It might just be me, but I appear to not be able to grow Cephalotus very well. I've killed them twice before, one from over-watering and the other from lack of light.

I got a new Cephalotus in October and placed it outside in my mini-greenhouse on the patio, and it was in suspended animation for the past two months. However, over the past week, the temperature has been really low (50s F), and it's been raining alot over the past few days. Because my greenhouse is in my patio, the plants only receive a misting from the outside rain. However, it looks like it was too wet for the Cephalotus and what little green leaves were left on the plant have quickly browned away. There's only two green leaves left on the plant.

What should I do? I'm thinking about just giving up on growing Cephalotus. And if so, would it be wise for me to get a Heliamphora to replace the Cephalotus?
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not grow cephalotus or heliamphora, but I can say that it is not wise to get a heli as a replacement. They generally are even more sensitive than cephs, and need cooler temp.

However, I have heard that H. minor, H. heterodoxa, and the cross between them are pretty easy.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by w03 View Post
    I do not grow cephalotus or heliamphora, but I can say that it is not wise to get a heli as a replacement. They generally are even more sensitive than cephs, and need cooler temp.

However, I have heard that H. minor, H. heterodoxa, and the cross between them are pretty easy.
    I've found a H. Minor for about 12 euros. I want to get that one because it's smaller and can take warmer temps than other Helis.

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Cephalotus may simply be dying back. Everyone who has had experience with these plants, has seen this happen at some point. Just back away on the watering; avoid wetting the crown of the plant itself, and understand that growth will be slowed until Spring.

I too would suggest putting off growing Heliamphora until you get a handle on its growing conditions -- which, in my experience, are the same as Cephalotus . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    The Cephalotus may simply be dying back. Everyone who has had experience with these plants, has seen this happen at some point. Just back away on the watering; avoid wetting the crown of the plant itself, and understand that growth will be slowed until Spring.

I too would suggest putting off growing Heliamphora until you get a handle on its growing conditions -- which, in my experience, are the same as Cephalotus . . .
    Everyone? I have never had my cephs die back. Been growing them since 2003.
    I have seen other growers have this happen on what seems to be a yearly basis. Guess I'm lucky.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elgecko View Post
    Everyone? I have never had my cephs die back. Been growing them since 2003.
    I have seen other growers have this happen on what seems to be a yearly basis. Guess I'm lucky.
    Hey, much like motorcyclists, there are two types of Cephalotus growers -- "those that have been down and those who are going down," and I have been growing them for far longer . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the event that my Cephalotus rots away, I'm currently looking at some Nepenthes to replace it. I'm thinking N. Singalana and N. Glabrata.

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    ...I'm thinking N. Singalana and N. Glabrata.
    To put outside as well? I would try an intermediate/lowlander if that's what you mean.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast