Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dormancy 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is normally the weekend I take my plants out of dormancy..
    but I think im just going to wait an extra month this year!
    because I have a new plan..

in past years, I would take them out in Mid-February and stick them in windows indoors, like this:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page5a.html

but thats a pain, because I dont really have good indoor spots..and they dont get enough light.
    but they cant go outside for another 2 months! until mid-April..until night-time lows stay above freezing..
    thats still a long way away..

I have never really been happy with that plan..because its not a healthy Spring for my plants..
    its far too warm and dark being on windowsills indoors for 2 months..the spring growth is all floppy and weak, then it burns when they go outside..

So I think this year im going to try something new..
    im going leave them alone for another month or so..just leave them in the cold stairwell..
    (unless its gets unusually warm..which isnt likely anytime soon.)
    For most of March and early April, its above freezing during the day, but below freezing at night...so..

In Mid-March, I will remove my plants from the stairwell, place all the pots on a wheeled wagon in the garage..they will get wheeled outside in the morning when I leave for work..now they can break dormancy *outside* instead of inside..and enjoy those sunny 35-45 degree March days..
    then, if its going to be below freezing at night, I can wheel them into the garage for the night!
    I will do this for a month or so, until they can go back on the deck for good..usually around mid-April..

This is better, because they get the direct sun from the start, and it more closely mimics nature..
    (I would prefer to just keep my plants outside 24/7/365..but my winters wont allow that)

So thats my new plan for this year..I will let you know how it goes!

So my plants are not coming out of dormancy yet..they are remaining dormant another 3 or 4 weeks..
    which means my plants will be getting a FOUR month dormancy! but I still think it should be better than bringing them out of the stairwell right now..we shall see..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    which means my plants will be getting a FOUR month dormancy! but I still think it should be better than bringing them out of the stairwell right now..we shall see..
    I know that growers up in Canada on the OCPS forum who leave their bogs outside all year round have no problems with this... even VFTs and non-native Sarrs don't mind the 6 months of dormancy (under snow and mulch). You shouldn't have too many worries, Scot.
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with PM. I used to live in Michigan and would put my plants in the garage in November and leave them there until mid to late April (about 5 and half months) with no problems at all. They would even freeze solid in the garage for about 3-4 weeks during Jan-Feb but I never had a loss. You'll be fine Scotty but I would wait even longer. Wheeling them in and out of the garage on a daily basis sounds like a pain in the ****!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck with yours, guys! Today, I did some more dividing and repotting. The birds were chirping and flying wildly today. Also, there were tons of flying queen ants all over the place!

Some more pictures... I found (what seemed to be) some slime mold in one pot that had massive growth of moss.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred P View Post
    I agree with PM. I used to live in Michigan and would put my plants in the garage in November and leave them there until mid to late April (about 5 and half months) with no problems at all. They would even freeze solid in the garage for about 3-4 weeks during Jan-Feb but I never had a loss. You'll be fine Scotty but I would wait even longer. Wheeling them in and out of the garage on a daily basis sounds like a pain in the ****!
    im not really worried about the length of the dormancy..
    and wheeling them in and out of ther garage shouldnt be a big deal, because I will have the pots on a wagon!
    so it should be rather painless..

I wouldnt mind just leaving the plants in the stairwell until April!
    until they can go out on the deck "for the season"..but I think there would be a problem with that idea..

because my plants are in the stairwell..when it begins to warm-up through March and April, im afraid it will get warm enough (40's-50's) in the stairwell that the plants will attempt to break dormancy..but they will still be in pitch-darkness! which wouldnt be good..
    If I could keep the plants at 35 degrees until April 15th, it wouldnt be a problem..
    but that probably isnt possible..

So thats why Im considering the "wagon method" for March 15 - April 15..

maybe they would be fine until April 15th in the stairwell!
    I honestly dont know, because I have never tried it..

another reason i like the "wagon method" is because the exact date theycan go "on the deck for the season" is never absolute..sometimes its early April, sometimes it late April..it can vary by 2 or 3 weeks from year to year..but if I have the plants on the wagon, its a non-issue..I can easily bring them back into the garage for any unusually cold nights..

thoughts?

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use the cut pitchers in a bouquet - that's what my stepmom did. Looked nice, if any of you guys have wives that like to decorate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I am going to try to take them out on March 1st or anytime it gets warmer now(all the 3 feet of snow melts) during the day and bring them in at night till it gets above 39 at night. A few of my sarrs are sending up pitchers, no buds yet though. Hope the snow melts soon(for their sake, not mine)(i love the snow)
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked and I have some pitchers starting to emerge from the growth points and another flower being sent up by my Sarracenia rubra wherryi 'Chantom Giant.' So far my Sarracenia flava and Sarracenia alata are sending up pitchers.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast