What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

As the title says, this thread is dedicated to this year's dormancy, so feel free to post whatever dormancy pictures you would like to share. :)

Anyway, it's the time of year again (although the time was probably a few months ago for you guys LOL). Seeing that my plants were definitely dormant, I decided to do some dormancy pruning. And there a LOT more pitchers than last year. If there is one thing I hate the most about pruning for dormancy, is the smell. Oh, God, the smell of hundreds of bugs decaying...

Anyway, enjoy. :D

BEFORE
The outside plants:
DSC03546.jpg

Mini-bog (contains S. leuco 'Tarnok', S. flava 'rugelii', S. x 'Dana's Delight', and an unkown Sarracenias) :
DSC03555.jpg

The larger Sarracenias (S. alata 'SW LA', S. leuco 'Tarnok', S. purp venosa, and an unknown Sarracenias) :
DSC03556.jpg

S. leuco 'Tarnok' that I had growing aquatically. Did really well:
DSC03558.jpg

S. minor:
DSC03560.jpg

S. psittacina:
DSC03549.jpg

VFT (It grew A LOT this year and needs to be repotted) :
DSC03548.jpg

S. x 'Mardi Gras' seems to have died back for the second time. I think this time it's a goner. Not sure what's with this plant... Put on the bright side, it has two D. dichotoma:
DSC03550.jpg

S. purp venosa. Sort of had a rough year, things kept munching on its leaves:
DSC03552.jpg

D. burmanii. This absolutely baffled me. After 6+ months of having my D. burmanii dead, I found this:
DSC03553.jpg

AFTER
DSC03561.jpg

DSC03562.jpg

DSC03563.jpg

S.. minor needs a repot:
DSC03564.jpg

Now for the carnage:
DSC03565.jpg

DSC03566.jpg

Size reference (I'm a size 9.5) :
DSC03570.jpg

Hoped you enjoyed. :)

aaawww, so sad seeing them all go away. :( Beautiful plants though, nice VFT, cute psittacina and nice lookin' purp!

nice plants, I did all that in November. It just still isn't cold enough to put them in the basement. (odd for Massachusetts, it hasn't spent one day entirely below freezing.)

Thanks for sharing Cap, looks like there's plenty more room now for next years expansion! Also looks like you've got plenty of repotting on your hands :)

Questions: Your leuco grown 'aquatically', did you have it submerged the whole season or just intermittently in between waterings ? It never ceases to amaze me how well they do when inundated, you'd think with the lack of air they would tend to rot but in the wild they're often found in saturated conditions.

I see some colored pitchers of the purp in the discard pile, I hope you left some on for the spring :(

Thanks for sharing Cap, looks like there's plenty more room now for next years expansion! Also looks like you've got plenty of repotting on your hands :)

Questions: Your leuco grown 'aquatically', did you have it submerged the whole season or just intermittently in between waterings ? It never ceases to amaze me how well they do when inundated, you'd think with the lack of air they would tend to rot but in the wild they're often found in saturated conditions.

I see some colored pitchers of the purp in the discard pile, I hope you left some on for the spring :(

Yeah, I do have some repotting to do, haha. The leuco grew in pure water for several months. It was a little division that I need to get out of my mini-bog, and I didn't feel like throwing it out, so I just put in the water tray to see what would happen. Believe it or not, it grew really well. However, I did throw out today because seeing how much I had to divide and how many S. leucos I already had, I had to make room. :/ I didn't want to, but if I wanted room, I had to. I couldn't have traded it away, either, since I'm not allowed to trade and what not. :< But I have plenty of leucos left, so it's ok.

And as for the purp, no, I didn't leaves on the purp. Should I have? :x

yes you should have left leaves for the purp since they are a bit on the slow growing side at first during the season, leaving leaves would have left them something to photosynthesize with.

yes you should have left leaves for the purp since they are a bit on the slow growing side at first during the season, leaving leaves would have left them something to photosynthesize with.

Oh...Well, crap. >( Maybe if I were to find a leaf or two and glue 'em on...

You threw it away? You should have left it in the water tray or stuck it in your mom's garden as an experiment.

You threw it away? You should have left it in the water tray or stuck it in your mom's garden as an experiment.

Oh, maybe, if I thought of that. :x Well, what's been done is done. And if I had left it in the tray, it could've taken a lot of space in the tray. Either way, my S. leucos make divisions like crazy, there are lot more where that came from. I basically have to weed them now. I'll keep that idea in mind, though.

My Plants Are Doing Pretty Good, I had them inside(Garage) since Mid-November, Still Have Green Shoots and Phllodiaya(I have no clue how to spell it right now.) and I am Going through my first dormancy where there are more than 1 Plants alive within the first week of dormancy. My capensis had a flower stalk, it's in Suspended animation, I'm Not sure if i want to cut it off. My purpurea is the only one potted still outdoors(Other than mulched bog) in the 23 degree range overnight(sometimes more than 35), i hope to have many flowers this coming year, and i hope to bring them out early March and get tons more this year.(Which will leave me broke with my CP fund in the First Day Like Last Year)(wish i was 15)
Edit: My Lady Bug Is Still Sending Out New Pitchers, So I Know Thats Alive for sure

I had about a dozen first-year Sarra seedlings that I just put in a greenhouse, but I don't think they survived being in the garage for a month. I think they were frozen too long. Oh well, at least it was only 12. I will be putting my 2-year-old seedlings in the greenhouse either tonight or tomorrow. They've been in the garage since thanksgiving-ish, and pretty much frozen for that time. Had kind of a mini-thaw the week prior to christmas, where it was above freezing in the garage, but not enough to completely thaw them out. They all appear to still be alive, so hopefully they start sending new growth up in a couple of weeks. My mature plants are in lg. mini-bogs and impossible to transport to the greenhouse, so they'll stay in the garage for 3 more months. It's not an ideal situation for them, but I only had 1 year where I suffered losses.

My dormant plants are in the window sill. I have check on them virtually every night to make sure they haven't frozen into a solid block, as I had found happened to my VFT. It doesn't look like it killed it; however, I have to be careful with my dormant ping which I know is not so frost tolerant.

Chicago gets VERY cold.

-Hermes.

I let all my Sarracenia and Dionaea freeze solid every year outside in New Hampshire. They come back bigger and better every spring ! Photos in April...

is this a cross of s minor i like the hoods, they're much more pronounced than mine.
almost looks like darlingtonia with out the forked tongue.
yours.
DSC03560.jpg
mine.
IMG_0497.JPG
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

is this a cross of s minor i like the hoods, they're much more pronounced than mine.
almost looks like darlingtonia with out the forked tongue.
yours.
DSC03560.jpg
mine.
IMG_0497.JPG
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I recently did a massive trimming of all my Sarrs, VFTs, and my D. filiformis. They really needed it! It was like giving them a haircut. I leave any healthy foliage, though.

When trimming off 'Judith Hindle' pitchers, I realized how clumped the plants really were. There was pitchers in the center of the clumps that were extremely pale and green. No red coloration at all, it was like they never saw the light of day.
smiley_emoticons_zombie01.gif
I'm really looking forward to dividing them later in the winter.

My minibogs are sound asleep. Here is a photo I took today of one:

dormant2.jpg

Looking great. :)

Question: Do you trim the leaves of your plants, spdskr?

A slight update: VFTs and psittacina are now sound asleep.

Edit: Also, Jimmy, as far as I know, it's pure S. minor.

Yes, but only once they turn brown. In my experience, the youngest leaves of the leuco and rubra will stay green until the plant starts new growth in April here in Colorado.

I have yet to trim away the dead Sarracenia leaves from the 2009 season, and the pots look like hell at this point. Yet, something else to do this weekend . . .

Back