Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dormancy 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dormancy 2009

As the title says, this thread is dedicated to this year's dormancy, so feel free to post whatever dormancy pictures you would like to share.

Anyway, it's the time of year again (although the time was probably a few months ago for you guys LOL). Seeing that my plants were definitely dormant, I decided to do some dormancy pruning. And there a LOT more pitchers than last year. If there is one thing I hate the most about pruning for dormancy, is the smell. Oh, God, the smell of hundreds of bugs decaying...

Anyway, enjoy.

BEFORE
    The outside plants:

Mini-bog (contains S. leuco 'Tarnok', S. flava 'rugelii', S. x 'Dana's Delight', and an unkown Sarracenias) :

The larger Sarracenias (S. alata 'SW LA', S. leuco 'Tarnok', S. purp venosa, and an unknown Sarracenias) :

S. leuco 'Tarnok' that I had growing aquatically. Did really well:

S. minor:

S. psittacina:

VFT (It grew A LOT this year and needs to be repotted) :

S. x 'Mardi Gras' seems to have died back for the second time. I think this time it's a goner. Not sure what's with this plant... Put on the bright side, it has two D. dichotoma:

S. purp venosa. Sort of had a rough year, things kept munching on its leaves:

D. burmanii. This absolutely baffled me. After 6+ months of having my D. burmanii dead, I found this:

AFTER

S.. minor needs a repot:

Now for the carnage:

Size reference (I'm a size 9.5) :

Hoped you enjoyed.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aaawww, so sad seeing them all go away. Beautiful plants though, nice VFT, cute psittacina and nice lookin' purp!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice plants, I did all that in November. It just still isn't cold enough to put them in the basement. (odd for Massachusetts, it hasn't spent one day entirely below freezing.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing Cap, looks like there's plenty more room now for next years expansion! Also looks like you've got plenty of repotting on your hands

Questions: Your leuco grown 'aquatically', did you have it submerged the whole season or just intermittently in between waterings ? It never ceases to amaze me how well they do when inundated, you'd think with the lack of air they would tend to rot but in the wild they're often found in saturated conditions.

I see some colored pitchers of the purp in the discard pile, I hope you left some on for the spring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by F R e N c H 3 z View Post
    Thanks for sharing Cap, looks like there's plenty more room now for next years expansion! Also looks like you've got plenty of repotting on your hands

Questions: Your leuco grown 'aquatically', did you have it submerged the whole season or just intermittently in between waterings ? It never ceases to amaze me how well they do when inundated, you'd think with the lack of air they would tend to rot but in the wild they're often found in saturated conditions.

I see some colored pitchers of the purp in the discard pile, I hope you left some on for the spring
    Yeah, I do have some repotting to do, haha. The leuco grew in pure water for several months. It was a little division that I need to get out of my mini-bog, and I didn't feel like throwing it out, so I just put in the water tray to see what would happen. Believe it or not, it grew really well. However, I did throw out today because seeing how much I had to divide and how many S. leucos I already had, I had to make room. :/ I didn't want to, but if I wanted room, I had to. I couldn't have traded it away, either, since I'm not allowed to trade and what not. :< But I have plenty of leucos left, so it's ok.

And as for the purp, no, I didn't leaves on the purp. Should I have? :x
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes you should have left leaves for the purp since they are a bit on the slow growing side at first during the season, leaving leaves would have left them something to photosynthesize with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    yes you should have left leaves for the purp since they are a bit on the slow growing side at first during the season, leaving leaves would have left them something to photosynthesize with.
    Oh...Well, crap. >( Maybe if I were to find a leaf or two and glue 'em on...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You threw it away? You should have left it in the water tray or stuck it in your mom's garden as an experiment.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast