Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cobra Plant

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everybody has their favorite potting mixes. What works best probably depends a lot on your climate.

The care sheets that came with the Darlingtonia that I bought from a nursery in Oregon recommended a peat/perlite mix that was mostly peat. Either 90% or 70% peat. I don't recall the exact proportions. I probably still have the sheets or the email somewhere, but not worth digging up right now. I was surprised since most recommendations I've gotten were for 50-70% perlite. But then the supplier has been growing CPs for a long time.

And now it turns out that Darlingtonia are fluoride sensitive so pumice/lava rock are a better choice since (depending on the source) perlite is high in fluorides.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the fluorides are why i stick to pure LFS in my plants and try to stay with atleast some live stuff in the mix.
    currently all of my temperates are frozen completely solid since out of nowhere we got a huge winter chill that came through, hit around 7ºF last night here which is rather rare for our area especially at this time of the year...

Iea100s, in my opinion, it definitely looks like a humidity and a heat issue,
    How are you growing this plant? When did you receive it?
    ive grown cobras for a couple years now, and i have to say they definitely dont like dry air and heat, if its too hot, considering refrigerating the RO water you use for the plants, or even put icecubes in the media.
    But it definitely needs to get out of that peat, problem with Cobras is that they usually dont respond too well to being repotted, i havent had problem, but i use LFS so i just simply take the plant with the current LFS and put it in new LFS in a bigger pot....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had not heard about either Darlingtonia's sensitivity to -- nor perlite's concentration of fluoride and have successfully used it in my mixes (along with some pumice) for years . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got this plant from Lowes. I took it out of the death cube and put it by my window, because it was about 40 degrees F. that day. Then it started to look all shirveled up, so I gave it some water. Its looked this way for the past week. I really need some help on this species, as you can see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not have any experience with this species, but most plants from Lowe's will suffer major humidity shock if taken out of the cube suddenly.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I used the cube in giving a home to some terrestrial bladderworts, so theres nothin' I can do with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    put a baggy over it....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast