Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cobra Plant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Cobra Plant

Whats wrong with my cobra? I really need some tips on this species. I got it from a death cube, and it isn't adjusting well.

Thanks a MILLION!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like humidity shock. give it a little TLC and it should bounce back. just be careful with watering. what mix is it in?

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conditions and details, please. When did you get it? Where are you growing it? How are you growing it? etc. Also, I wouldn't used peat & perlite for cobras.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glider14 View Post
    looks like humidity shock. give it a little TLC and it should bounce back. just be careful with watering. what mix is it in?

Alex
    What is TLC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ieat100s View Post
    What is TLC?
    Tender, Love, and Care.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capensis View Post
    Also, I wouldn't used peat & perlite for cobras.
    Why is that?
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    peat is ok for cobras. but you need a very high amount of something more airy, mini pine nuggets, lots of perlite or just straight LFS. for when i still had cobras i used straight LFS for one, 1:3 peat perlite for one and 1:2:1 peat perlite and mini pine nuggets for the last one. all did pretty well until i forgot to water them before i left on a trip and they dried out (pretty quickly at that)

assuming that you just got it, the sudden drop in humidity from the death rectangular prism would cause it to shrivel up. it doesnt look very bad so the roots may still be ok. if they werent, be sure not to over water it cause that will cause it to rot away.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peat/perlite is generally not recommended because it's too dense. It doesn't drain quickly, which isn't a terrible thing until you take into account that it also doesn't hold much air, which causes it to smother roots that don't enjoy waterlogged conditions. The dark color conspires with the above properties to make it warm quickly in the sun, which is one more thing that Darlingtonia really dislike. I use peat and perlite with my plants, but I usually mix in big chunks of pumice and live Sphagnum. At the very least, more perlite than peat as the others have said.
    I know it looks like it's hurting, ieat, but I don't think it's a total loss. Keep the pot in water at all times, but it might be good to keep the water level shallow as well. You might try putting it in a large open-mouthed jar or a large plastic bag with the mouth open. Extra humidity may help - I don't think you should put it in a closed container like the death cube though. If you can add pumice, coarse perlite, or some other large aggregate into the mix, then the sooner you do it the better. But with care you can make it work how it is. A larger pot will work wonders, as well - Darlingtonia like pots where they can spread out wide.
    Also, it might help us to know a few more details. When did you get it? When did you repot it? How long has it been out of the cube? Is it outdoors, or inside on a windowsill, or under lights? How are you watering, and what are the temperature/humidity ranges it's experiencing?
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast