What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just a quick question about media

Do Cephalotus use the same media as Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, or are they any different. As I see most grown in the moss, however I know Sarracenia can grow in the same type mix a VFT with perlite in the peat mix!.

Any advise welcome thanks Noddy

Heliamphora need a looser soil than sarrs, hence the use of moss instead of peat moss. I guess you could use peat moss mixed with a lot of perlite.

I think you can use %60 perlite and 40% peatmoss, there are lots of different mixes. teehee but that's basically what Mr. Truncata said. I use the mix from Barry's book, 3:2:1:1 perlite, peat, sand and orchid bark. I don really know much about cephs though...

i am pretty against a heavy use of peat in ceph mixes and i would use something more like peat/silica sand or peat/sand/perlite with maybe some Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil.

My preferences for Cephalotus composts over the years have run to various loose sphagnum peat /silica sand mixes, especially so-called "Charles Brewer's" Mix:

By volume:

45% live or dried sphagnum moss
45% perlite
8% peat/silica sand mixture
2% wood charcoal . . .

Cephalotus needs a very well drained soil. Heck, I've killed 3 Cephalotus' from over-wetting the soil, even though it was mostly sand with a little peat.

I use LFS for all of them.

SirKristoff

What ratio's are you using for peat/sand/perlite please

Many thanks Noddy

50% peat 30% sand 20% perlite. Its really a matter of what I scoop or have in hand....I think you might be good with a 50 40 10 ratio too.

Can I ask a stupid question here

silica sand is that one item or two

Regards Noddy

One item. Silica sand is quartz-based granules. And being that it's quartz, it doesn't have harmful additions (e.g. salt) that you'd find in river or beach sand.

Silica sand is often used in sand blasting and in making glass.

In horticulture, it makes a great neutral soil additive for aeration and drainage.

I see

Like washed sand that you can by for plants is ok..

As the store was on about stuff that holds water like a gel.

Noddy

Back