What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What you think of this...

• Thread starter Noddy
  • Start date
It looks good ...so? Anyone can take the plants and put them in a jar....the problem is to succesfuly grow them in there for more than a month. Think about it!

I'll throw in my two cents here. There is no way around it... period. Sarracenia NEED dormancy to survive LONG TERM. Can you get away with skipping a dormancy? Sure, perhaps you can, but it will weaken the plant. Eventually missing several dormancys will most likely take its toll and will result in the death of the plant.

I would be convinced "the system works" if we:

A. Had a timeline rather than just a picture
B. Were provided data that shows exactly how this plant is being grown.

Until then it is a leap in logic to assume "their system works".

The bottom line is this... Sarracenia need dormancy for a reason. I know how people feel... it is sad not getting to enjoy the plants 24/7. I have a Leah Wilkerson that I bought when it was dormant... talk about a tease.

Perhaps those that are far more exprienced than I can chime in. And whatever happens in the coming posts, don't take it personal :)

I agree with the dormancy, however as long as the plant rather water inside did not freeze then I think it would work as the ice would expland and crack the glass.

I see there's a good air vent...

It's a interesting thought I know... But I have had my mine indoors not that style of plant but other's now there chilling in the snow... Test year

Thoughts every one

It must be a pain in the *** to repot those plants. Wait, how exactly did they get into the jar in the first place? :0o:

Well, I want to say one thing. Just because a plant is in a vase on a window, does that mean it isn't getting its needed dormancy? I could see someone putting a plant like that asleep in a cold basement for awhile then waking it up after its needed sleep. I still don't like the look of it though. Its unnatural and honesty, I think its ugly.

No way those plants have been growing on that windowsill for more than a week, otherwise they'd be green and etiolated.

Upon looking and reading a little further in his picture comments. I wonder if the plant will survive due to dormancy and/or water. He states he has NEVER watered it since making it! He also states that in any other arrangment he has made with these type of plants they have never lasted more then a week! He states it's because of humidity and light reasons but I have a feeling there's a water issue too (not enought water/wrong water). It does look very nice I must say, and I'm sure there would be a market in fake/dried arrangments.

Looks like a TC plant still showing a little vigor from the hormones. I seriously doubt this could work in practice; even if you could meet the other conditions, enough light for proper growth would promptly cook a plant in a container that small. And in the long term, rhizome growth would necessitate breaking the plant out of the vase to repot. (Unless you've got some snazzy ship-in-a-bottle-style gardening tools, maybe.)
It doesn't really appear all that healthy to me. I would guess the only reason the pitchers aren't all flopped over is because there isn't any room for them to do so.
~Joe

Looks like it's probably a 'Dana's Delight,' which we all know should look more like:
sarra-danasdelight.jpg

(points to Brokken for that beautiful plant and pic)

Back