Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What you think of this...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you think of this...

I know there are going to be some people here that I going to say it's a outdoor plant ... Most are ;-) or have been before they was brought inside.

However I have stumbled on this image here

http://www.thefernandmossery.com/200...terrarium.html

Which seems to be doing rather well... and it looks older than a 1 year thus I would say that there system works.

Points Of View please

Noddy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks good ...so? Anyone can take the plants and put them in a jar....the problem is to succesfuly grow them in there for more than a month. Think about it!
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll throw in my two cents here. There is no way around it... period. Sarracenia NEED dormancy to survive LONG TERM. Can you get away with skipping a dormancy? Sure, perhaps you can, but it will weaken the plant. Eventually missing several dormancys will most likely take its toll and will result in the death of the plant.

I would be convinced "the system works" if we:

A. Had a timeline rather than just a picture
    B. Were provided data that shows exactly how this plant is being grown.

Until then it is a leap in logic to assume "their system works".

The bottom line is this... Sarracenia need dormancy for a reason. I know how people feel... it is sad not getting to enjoy the plants 24/7. I have a Leah Wilkerson that I bought when it was dormant... talk about a tease.

Perhaps those that are far more exprienced than I can chime in. And whatever happens in the coming posts, don't take it personal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the dormancy, however as long as the plant rather water inside did not freeze then I think it would work as the ice would expland and crack the glass.

I see there's a good air vent...

It's a interesting thought I know... But I have had my mine indoors not that style of plant but other's now there chilling in the snow... Test year

Thoughts every one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must be a pain in the *** to repot those plants. Wait, how exactly did they get into the jar in the first place?
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I want to say one thing. Just because a plant is in a vase on a window, does that mean it isn't getting its needed dormancy? I could see someone putting a plant like that asleep in a cold basement for awhile then waking it up after its needed sleep. I still don't like the look of it though. Its unnatural and honesty, I think its ugly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way those plants have been growing on that windowsill for more than a week, otherwise they'd be green and etiolated.
    Insanity is a sane response to an insane world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upon looking and reading a little further in his picture comments. I wonder if the plant will survive due to dormancy and/or water. He states he has NEVER watered it since making it! He also states that in any other arrangment he has made with these type of plants they have never lasted more then a week! He states it's because of humidity and light reasons but I have a feeling there's a water issue too (not enought water/wrong water). It does look very nice I must say, and I'm sure there would be a market in fake/dried arrangments.
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast