User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenias not coming up right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimmy: Some species are prone to putting phyllodia more than others. Again, I defer my answer to the need to know more about the environment, the growing conditions and the species (ideally, provide pictures) before one can ***** what the problem might be.

It may not even be a pure species - in which case it would be extremely hard to tell what the grow habits are.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, sorry for not getting back to you before hand. Pictures are on there way; just waiting for the other half to get the camera back.

In the mean time, I live in West Australia, the plants are on a shelf outside under shade cloth and sitting in trays of rainwater at about a depth of 1-2". Each plant is individually potted in a mix of Canadian spag peat and perlite.

Species include;

alata
    purpurea (which seem to be doing fine)
    " " venosa
    Flava

On the stand next to them I have some Nepth which all seem to be doing rather well, despite the heat. At the moment most days hover about 30 - 35 up to 40 (though not too often) degrees C.

There are no bugs. I went over each of the plants with a magnifying glass (literally).

Am I alright leaving them in water constantly, the pots that is. Looking at pictures many of you have posted, very few seem to have their plants in water like I do. Anyway, pictures soon.

Oh, last thing, the shade cloth is 50%

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need for shade cloth. Sarrs can handle full sunlight without any issues. Your Nepenthes are doing well because they do not like full sunlight; 50% shade cloth is their cup of tea.

Just place your plants in full sunlight and keep the tray water no higher than half way up the side of each plant's pot.

I think that's probably your issue.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twisted deformed pitcher leaves are usually a sign of insects like thrips, mealybugs, aphids or scale.

Spindly pitchers that flop over and won't stand upright are usually a sign of not enough sunlight.

Pitchers that flop over or crumple in the afternoon on a hot day are an indication of insufficient water.

Flat leaves are probably phyllodia. The shape and timing of their growth depends primarily on the species or mixture of species. Some are completely flat curved or not. Some have vestigial pitchers with exaggerated ala (the flat ridge or keel that runs the length of the pitcher leaves). There are often intermediate leaves at the start or near the end of the plants growing season.

Unseasonable phyllodia can occur with plants that have not had dormancy for several years. Too many nutrients in the soil can cause small, vestigial pitchers and exaggerated ala too.

Given your temperatures shade cloth is not a bad idea but you may be able to get by shading the Sarracenia in the afternoon only.

Western Australia is a huge area. I take it you're in the northern area such as Kimberly or well in-land.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From your pictures it looks like the plants came from the Northern Hemisphere where they would have been in dormancy. I'm assuming this because I see that all of the pitchers have been cut off and there are lots of phyllodia present. If that is the case then the growth you are seeing is most likely stress from the plant as it would be 'out of whack' since it is suppose to be sleeping and not actively growing. In the Northern Hemisphere at this time of year they are accustomed to temperatures between 0 C - 10 C give on average with freezes frequent rather than 30-40C.
    I suggest either placing them in the fridge if you've only had them briefly until your next spring. But if you have had them for more than a couple weeks I would let them be and let them go dormant during your coming winter. You should contact the nursery you bought them from and see how they handled their dormancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by F R e N c H 3 z View Post
    From your pictures it looks like the plants came from the Northern Hemisphere where they would have been in dormancy. I'm assuming this because I see that all of the pitchers have been cut off and there are lots of phyllodia present.
    I'm not sure I follow this logic. Do people in the Southern hemisphere not cut off old pitchers - before, during or just after winter? As for phyllodia, leuco's often have some early in spring & middle of summer. Their strongest pitchers are usually in the fall (like the rubra group and opposite flava/oreo).

I think NaN hit it with his comment on deformed pitchers.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    I'm not sure I follow this logic. Do people in the Southern hemisphere not cut off old pitchers - before, during or just after winter?
    I was assuming (from the pictures) that plants were grown in the Northern Hemisphere, entered dormancy and were then shipped to requiem who lives in the Southern Hemisphere. I could totally be wrong though and he very well could have had the plants for multiple growing seasons.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast