What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus seedling colour variations.

I have approximately 50 Cephalotus seedlings, all from the same mother plant. While looking at them earlier today I noticed variations in colours, some subtle but others more striking. The picture below shows a good contrast between two seedlings that grow within millimetres of each other. If they reach maturity, hopefully the one on the right will keep its good colouration.

SS851615.JPG

It will be interesting to see what happens, down the road.

awsome! geeeeez, I've always been wanting to grow cephs from seed.. it's would be awsoome. very pic and good luck.

youll have to give out your secrets what a large crop , did you start with non carnivorous leaves ??

youll have to give out your secrets what a large crop , did you start with non carnivorous leaves ??
These are from seed collected from the mother plant in autumn. The plant produced quite a lot of seed, much of which went to others but I kept some for myself and have had nearly 100% germination. I sprinkled the seed onto moist peat/perlite/sharp sand mix and sprayed with water to 'stick' them to the surface. The seed tray (food storage container) has a clear lid in which I drilled a few ventilation holes, this sits on my growshelf under fluoresecnt lighting.

What about stratification, hmm?

I meant did Mobile stratify them?

I meant did Mobile stratify them?
Hi,

I guess that they sort of got a natural stratification. The seeds were collected at the end of the growing season, sown and placed on a windowsill. As the daylengths were getting shorter and the temperatures cooler they did not germinate. After a couple of months I decided to move them to my growshelf which has lights on 14hrs/day and shortly after they germinated. As others have mentioned, Albany stays mild year round but it does have seasons and is probably not as hot as some people think. See link below for climate statistics for that area.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_009500.shtml

Back