User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy another Cephalotus?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    I'm going to get a soil that is 75% perlite/sand and 25% peat moss. I'm going to keep the soil damp, not wet.
    Please, take this with the proverbial grain of salt. As an anecdotal observation, I've found that fine perlite often behaves the opposite of course perlite. Whereas course perlite may drain and dry out fairly quickly, fine perlite actually retains water for much, much longer than you'd expect. While this would be okay for most CPs, it could pose a serious problem for Cephalotus. You may find that the tops of your pots look dry, but down below they could be quite damp. Overall, I find perlite too unpredictable for my preferences. But, in the case of Cephalotus, I would probably use silica/quartz sand over perlite.

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If sand is preferred, I guess I could plant the upcoming Cephalotus in the same pot and soil as the previous Cephalotus. I just have to be careful about watering.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are using the same pot, be sure to sterilize it. If fungus killed your first plants, there's not sense giving it another opportunity. What kind of pot were you using? What soil mix did you actually use?

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermopolis View Post
    If you are using the same pot, be sure to sterilize it. If fungus killed your first plants, there's not sense giving it another opportunity. What kind of pot were you using? What soil mix did you actually use?

-Hermes.

I used a 4-inch circular green plastic pot that was several inches tall. The soil I used was about 75% silica sand (and the occasional lava rock) and the rest was peat moss.

However, the sand made the pot really heavy and I'm worried that all the sand sort of crushed the roots of the Cephalotus.

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the weight of the sand would be much of a problem. The native conditions for Cephs are pretty sandy. What kind of lava rock did you use? Red or black?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the weight of the sand would be much of a problem. The native conditions for Cephs are pretty sandy. What kind of lava rock did you use? Red or black?
    Red. I picked up a couple from my college and I brought them home, smashed them with a hammer until they were small (no bigger than a fingernail) and then mixed them into the soil.

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    Red. I picked up a couple from my college and I brought them home, smashed them with a hammer until they were small (no bigger than a fingernail) and then mixed them into the soil.
    Aha! Dr. Watson, we may have a suspect in the mysterious murders of the cephalotus.

This could be a possible source of decline for some of your cephs... copper poisoning. Copper is toxic to a lot of plants. Colleges often use red lava rock because algae will not grow on it and it can kill the weeds that grow up between it, ergo, it is ridiculously cheap and easy for grounds crews to maintain. Red lava rock leaches copper into the soil. So, this would not surprise me if it was the source of at least some of your woes.

-Hermes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aha! Dr. Watson, we may have a suspect in the mysterious murders of the cephalotus.

This could be a possible source of decline for some of your cephs... copper poisoning. Copper is toxic to a lot of plants. Colleges often use red lava rock because algae will not grow on it and it can kill the weeds that grow up between it, ergo, it is ridiculously cheap and easy for grounds crews to maintain. Red lava rock leaches copper into the soil. So, this would not surprise me if it was the source of at least some of your woes.

-Hermes.

And to further prove your point, all three Cephalotus's (?) I owned were planted in the same soil and pot.

So, the tragic combination of copper, over-watering, and lack of light were the killers of my beloved Cephalotus's.

Lesson learned. I'm going to buy some new soil (fast draining soil: 2 parts perlite/1 part peat) from a carnivorous plant nursery and I think I will have what it takes to properly grow it.

Wolfn's Growlist

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast