User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy another Cephalotus?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow the Cephalotus below in a tall pot (9" deep), in a mixture of peat and perlite. The pot sits in a deep saucer (3" deep) of water all year round on my windowsill, I just let the saucer empty before refilling with rainwater. The idea of using a tall pot is that the surface will not become too wet. There can be problems is if these plants are kept constantly wet in a poorly ventilated and/or low light area as then the moisture will encourage fungal growth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post

So here's my thinking: I order the medium sized bare-root plants, and when they arrive, I plant them in a very well-drained soil (like 75% perlite/sand and 25% peat moss) and I barely water them and grow them under a florescent light most of the time (I had a Nepenthes Ventricosa that thrived and grew red under this light)
    Never get bare root Cephalotus, they hate having their roots messed with.
    Last edited by xvart; 01-01-2010 at 12:27 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to wait around for bargain deals and spend your $50 on something you know you can grow.

I got mine for 10 bucks + shipping. It was small at the time, but small cephs turn into slightly larger cephs over time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered the Cephalotus last weekend (I found another site that sells them for $35 and they are potted), and it arrives next Thursday.

I already got the pot and soil ready for the big day.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why repot so soon they can stay in the pot they vome in mine came in the pot its in now almost two years ago .
    Im just now thinking about repotting , in the spring, just because i think it may now need a deeper pot , but i still think the diameter only needs to be about an inch larger in diameter.
    do keep in mind this a regular cephalotus , if you get a hummers giant it may outgrow the pot , but i still wouldnt repot it as soon as i got it, i would atleast give it a chance to acclimate to your conditions say a few months at least.
    It will be beautiful in any pot , dont rush it, or you could loose it as well.[COLOR="green"]
    Last edited by uphwiz; 12-31-2009 at 10:01 PM. Reason: double post again sorry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy conner View Post
    why repot so soon they can stay in the pot they vome in mine came in the pot its in now almost two years ago .
    Im just now thinking about repotting , in the spring, just because i think it may now need a deeper pot , but i still think the diameter only needs to be about an inch larger in diameter.
    do keep in mind this a regular cephalotus , if you get a hummers giant it may outgrow the pot , but i still wouldnt repot it as soon as i got it, i would atleast give it a chance to acclimate to your conditions say a few months at least.
    It will be beautiful in any pot , dont rush it, or you could loose it as well.[COLOR="green"]
    I've thought about that, but it isn't in the correct soil and the last time I ordered from them, the plants were already coming out of the soil and pot.

Besides, it would be better just to immediately transfer it to it's "permanent pot" and allow it to adjust there. I've done that in the past with no problems.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, people seem to be saying Cephs can grow warm, how many of you who are growing them in warm conditions have been doing so for over a year? I ask because I thought they needed the seasonal variation (temp/light) change to stay healthy. I grew my first one for a year or two in my old HL chamber, it became a very nice clump and then it just sort of petered out. Years later I've got another and put it in low light hours (but under relatively bright lights which grow/flower my succulents) and cool day/night temps ("winter") and it's really just poking along, it's been working on the same two new pitchers for a couple weeks now and they're still pretty small.

Perhaps I should put it into warm LL conditions with my N. amp "Harlequin' to kick start it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    I've thought about that, but it isn't in the correct soil and the last time I ordered from them, the plants were already coming out of the soil and pot.
    If it is the soil that the supplier grows their Cephalotus in then why is it the incorrect soil and, if it is incorrect, why are you purchasing plants from that supplier?

Besides, it would be better just to immediately transfer it to it's "permanent pot" and allow it to adjust there. I've done that in the past with no problems.
    The plant will be under enough stress from being transported and being put in a new location without having to deal with the additional stress of being repotted in a soil mix that it is not currently growing in.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast