User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy another Cephalotus?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Hmm, people seem to be saying Cephs can grow warm, how many of you who are growing them in warm conditions have been doing so for over a year? I ask because I thought they needed the seasonal variation (temp/light) change to stay healthy. I grew my first one for a year or two in my old HL chamber, it became a very nice clump and then it just sort of petered out. Years later I've got another and put it in low light hours (but under relatively bright lights which grow/flower my succulents) and cool day/night temps ("winter") and it's really just poking along, it's been working on the same two new pitchers for a couple weeks now and they're still pretty small.

Perhaps I should put it into warm LL conditions with my N. amp "Harlequin' to kick start it?
    swords ive asked the question of slowing down for a semi rest of ceph and get mixed answers, the one pichered in this post is two for me now and doing great, but also am concerned about sudden death, they do grow slow, i think mine does a pitcher at the rate of one a month, so yours sounds good to me? I did leave mine outside in full sun till night temps were down to 45 a few nights to give it a little slowdown, and when i browght it in it at once put on two new adult pitchers of which it only had grown two all summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The picture of my plant on the previous page is of a plant which I obtained in May 2007 and it had four mature pitchers at the time. I guess that it does get a sort of dormancy as it grows in natural light, so it sees the seasonal changes in daylength and temperature. Although, obviously being inside it does not get as cold as outside in the winter, there is still a distinct change in temperature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy conner View Post
    swords ive asked the question of slowing down for a semi rest of ceph and get mixed answers...
    Yup. Cephs are amazingly adaptable in cultivation - able to grow well in a wide variety of conditions. I have some on windowsills, in terrariums and with my VFTs (outside all summer & in basement back room under lights all winter). The 'best' conditions for pure growth are probably in a moderately-humid terrarium with some night drop in temp. They grow fastest there. However, windowsill in low winter humidity is only a bit slower and so far, the ones keeping the VFTs company are the only ones to bloom each summer.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    If it is the soil that the supplier grows their Cephalotus in then why is it the incorrect soil and, if it is incorrect, why are you purchasing plants from that supplier?

When I ordered from them, the Ceph was in pure sphagnum moss with algae on the surface. Besides, the pots are just too small for a Cephalotus
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here ar a few pics. of my grow shelf and cephalotus reg and hummers giants.
    ceph reg.
    these other three are h.giants one is just a little younger doesnt have any adult pitchers yet.

this last one is the young hummer.

They all seem to love this shelf. The hummers are fairly new to me but , are pitchering well since ive had them. and may be even a little stronger for the last 3 to 4 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Jimmy, I don't know if my old one had "sudden death syndrome" as it took a long time for the whole mass to die but it did eventually die back. Nowadays people say the rhizome might have still been alive if I'd have left it potted or maybe moved it to fresh soil as it had possibly soured. My original one I had potted in peat / perlite / orchid bark & charcoal. My current one is in a 4" pot of shredded LFS. I have noticed that there are two new leaves (not pitchers) forming on it as well.

When I think of "sudden" death I think of a succulent where one day it's perfect and the next morning it's a pile of jelly with some plant bits floating in it.

And it's not even good jelly like this:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is that stuff edible , looks a little scary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL

It's not actually the same kinda "jellied" / melted succulent I was talking about, I was just being silly. But yeah Cactus Jelly is real, they have it at Cub Foods in the Hispanic aisle if you want to try it. It's made from the Optunia cactus' fruit. They sell them fresh sometimes in the imported produce section they're called "prickly pear".

Sorry for verring off topic... Back to Cephs...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast