User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I buy another Cephalotus?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I buy another Cephalotus?

So, I'm currently debating on whether or not to buy another Cephalotus with my upcoming Christmas money. As some of you know, I've failed 3 times at growing Cephalotus (all of them from over-watering/lack of light).

However, Cephalotus is still my favorite carnivorous plant because of it's compact size and beauty.

I appear to be unsuccessful at keeping Cephalotus alive for more than 6 months for the reasons I listed above.

Do you think it would be wise if I were to spend $50 or so on another Cephalotus?
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you think that your growing skills have improved and you are able to correct the problems that killed your last plants, then I think it's worth a shot.

What size plant will you be getting for $50?
    Another option is you could try asking around on here if anyone has a small one to trade so you don't have to blow money away on something your not sure of.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theyellowdart View Post
    If you think that your growing skills have improved and you are able to correct the problems that killed your last plants, then I think it's worth a shot.

What size plant will you be getting for $50?
    Another option is you could try asking around on here if anyone has a small one to trade so you don't have to blow money away on something your not sure of.
    This nursery says it's offering small plants for $35 ($45 with shipping) and $45 for medium plants ($55 with shipping). I want to get medium sized plants. However, the nursery says they are shipped bare-root, which I don't think would be too much of a problem because with the previous Cephalotus' I owned, I transplanted them into larger pots and they actually thrived for a little bit before I accidentally over-watered them and neglected to give them enough light.

So here's my thinking: I order the medium sized bare-root plants, and when they arrive, I plant them in a very well-drained soil (like 75% perlite/sand and 25% peat moss) and I barely water them and grow them under a florescent light most of the time (I had a Nepenthes Ventricosa that thrived and grew red under this light)

I'm thinking that this will be the one plant I grow indoors (along with maybe a Mexican butterwort) and all my other plants will grow outside in the mini-greenhouse.

What do you think?

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    took me several tries before hitting on something that worked in my conditions with Cephs.......if your willing to spend the money on a plant you know you may kill go for it......if not dont......

if you grow plants that require special conditions your gonna kill some, if yah cant handle that then this aint the hobby for you, ive killed a good sized collection worth of CP's alone, aswell as orchids and other special requirement plants......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest some further reading on cultivating Cephalotus -- especially on watering practices -- and also choose a quick-draining compost. Some of my seedling plants are in more quartz sand than peat and my adult plants are all in variations of the "Charles Brewer" mix . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    I would suggest some further reading on cultivating Cephalotus -- especially on watering practices -- and also choose a quick-draining compost. Some of my seedling plants are in more quartz sand than peat and my adult plants are all in variations of the "Charles Brewer" mix . . .
    I'm going to get a soil that is 75% perlite/sand and 25% peat moss. I'm going to keep the soil damp, not wet.

I'm going to read more of the Savage Garden to see what it says.

But yeah, I think I can handle a Cephalotus.

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cephalotus was one of my first plants, lol. My avatar is it in June 09. This plant is an a easy grower for me, I would actually recommend it for like, 6 month growers. It has habit to give a lot of pleasure and grow fast. I love this thing. :

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't "barely" water it, but yeah, don't water too much. I hardly even pay attention to my Cephalotus, and it's doing great, lol. I just threw it into my terrarium, elevated on a pot, made sure it doesn't get too dry, and it thrives.

A note on watering, it won't matter how wet your Cephalotus gets, just make sure it dries before watering again. This is how I water my Cephalotus, and it's doing great. And I would try to research more than just from the Savage Garden.

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5130.html

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/see...ephalotus.html

(I hope you don't mind me posting this, elgecko) http://mysite.verizon.net/elgecko198...licularis.html
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast