What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia help

looking for some help with potting darlingtonias...

Plastic pots are fine, use sphagnum moss and perhaps some pumice or perlite. They seem to like a relatively high water level, so I use deep trays.

Try Barry's FAQ while you're at it. (www.sarracenia.com/faq.html)

EDIT- Ah, Ron, you caught me in between edits.

I noticed that you posted some 'How-to' questions in several of the sections. A good place to start is at Barry's faq. While a bit intimidating due to it's size, skip about a third of the way down & you'll find a section on "Growing carnivorous plants". After going through that section, skip around to any specific type of plant where you need some guidance.

In addition, you probably want to pick up one of the 'full spectrum' CP books (like Savage Garden or Barry's or ...) for a handy reference. Both the faq & a good book will give you a decent background and then you won't need to be reliant on who happens to be available to answer the scattershot approach of help-me questions.

Welcome to your new addiction - enjoy your plants - & don't get too upset if a few croak along the way... ???

On the note of Ron's message, while it's mostly dedicated to links to pictures, Bob Zeimer's CP Photo Finder has quite a few links to good general cultivation guides.
Darlingtonia can be made to work with the same types of mixes that VFTs or Sarracenia like, but I think they do a little bit better with extra aggregate like rough-grain perlite, or pumice/lava rock.
~Joe

I've killed a few Darlingtonia... until I put the plant into a planter, and placed it outside for spring->fall. They are in LFS (long fibered sphagnum), exposed to the elements (including snow, bright sunshine, and 90 F heat). Once acclimated, they do well. They spend their winters in unheated garages, attics, or apartments. They flower and produce stolons.

Picture-3.jpg

Picture002-13.jpg

Picture001-28.jpg

Picture001-12.jpg

Picture019-1.jpg

Picture031-3.jpg

Beautiful plants, thanks for sharing.

Back