User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would a Heliamphora minor be a lost cause?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Savage Garden says that Heliamphora Minor can actually thrive in a hot-house.

I'm thinking of getting one to grow on my porch here in Florida.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't d'Amato also define a hothouse at the beginning of the book as a greenhouse that's not allowed to drop below 50 or 60 degrees F? Not necessarily lowland conditions. The Savage Garden is a great resource but certainly not definitive; there are some outright errors and it was written in the mid-90s. I would definitely double-check information in it related to the lesser-known genera.
    ~Joe

PS - Er, where'd I get lowland? Now I'm the one putting words in people's mouths. H. heterodoxa does great for me even in the peak of the summer heat - it might be worth a try. I think it appreciates a nighttime drop but can cope with just a small drop or periods of muggy nights. You might have more success if you have an air-conditioned room to stash it in during heat waves.
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I do have my 4' wide T8s, but I put them away due to moving into a very small (6'x8') room at a friend's house. Could reinstall them I suppose. My plants are doing ok with the south facing window, although they're nowhere near as red as before, unfortunately.

You guys make a good point though. I think I'll concentrate on getting my Drosera and Pings doing well before working on anything else. Have a Ping. 'Titan' that is finally coming back from dying back to a 1mm wide sprout, and my P. Gigantea finally flowered.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your Nep appears to be doing quite well, too. Neps are great plants to focus on because they've got a lot of value in trade. If you got some nice hybrids or desirable species going in your collection you could trade for a Heliamphora or Cephalotus with little trouble. With your setup, you might consider buying a small HID lamp; I've seen compact ones marketed at orchid growers for as little as $80. HIDs tend to be intense enough that you can have a few feet of distance from the plants, so you could continue to use your rack and just supplement with artificial light at noontime or during a part of the day that the window isn't getting direct sun.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    The Savage Garden says that Heliamphora Minor can actually thrive in a hot-house.
    Where did you see this? In glancing through SG, I have a somewhat different take. D'Amato mentions that some H. minor grow in the lowlands and later notes that lowland varieties will do well in a hothouse. Right above this, he notes that Heli's will do well in a coolhouse or warmhouse - near swampcooler or misting system (pg 116). Unless I missed something (quite possible) , he doesn't recommend growing all H. minor's in a hothouse - just lowland varieties.

Brian Barnes (Drosera5150) grows several varieties in Florida & I believe even wrote a tutorial on keeping them - either here or over on the ICPS forum iirc.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Where did you see this? In glancing through SG, I have a somewhat different take. D'Amato mentions that some H. minor grow in the lowlands and later notes that lowland varieties will do well in a hothouse. Right above this, he notes that Heli's will do well in a coolhouse or warmhouse - near swampcooler or misting system (pg 116). Unless I missed something (quite possible) , he doesn't recommend growing all H. minor's in a hothouse - just lowland varieties.

Brian Barnes (Drosera5150) grows several varieties in Florida & I believe even wrote a tutorial on keeping them - either here or over on the ICPS forum iirc.

It says under "Hot House" that the lowland Heliamphoras can be grown in a hot-house. H. Minor and H. Heterdoxa are lowland Heliamphoras.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    It says under "Hot House" that the lowland Heliamphoras can be grown in a hot-house. H. Minor and H. Heterdoxa are lowland Heliamphoras.
    Wolf, the term lowland is relative when dealing with Heliamphora. Most H. minors are 1900-2500m and most "lowland" heterodoxa are 1100-1400m
    (McPherson et. al.,) neither of which I would really call or treat as a "lowland" plant.

There is currently a conversation going on about the only "true" lowland Heliamphora... (newly identified)

and it's by some of the true gurus of Heliamphora
    http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...=260426&st=0&#

HTH's
    Av

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12