What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. Wrigleyana vs. S. 'Scarlet Belle'

Take two ;)

So I was windowshopping at Flytrapshop.com and came across two sarrs, which are of the same lineage, but are classified differently as they have separate names for each.

amphirion said
wait what? This is already a tangent, but since it was brought up here i'd like some clarification.

i thought S. 'Scarlet Belle' is a hybrid cultivator. i thought S. x wrigleyana was a S. x wrigleyana regardless of whichever plant plays 'mother'. Just as the offspring will exhibit different degrees of each parent, S. 'Scarlet Belle' was given it's name because it holds a certain distinction from its siblings.

In point: i thought all S. 'Scarlet Belles' are S. x wrigleyanas but not all S. x wrigleyanas are S. 'Scarlet Belles'

seedjar said
I believe you've got it right, amp. S. x wrigleyana is a cross between a leucophylla and a psittacina. 'Scarlet Belle' is a cultivar, which happens to be a wrigleyana.

if anyone wants to chime in with the answer, by all means go right ahead :D

Hmm? I haven't been here lately, so I have no idea what's going on, but even though Scarlet Belle is x wrigleyana, Scarlet Belle is different because is was a wrigleyana with distinct characteristics and was registered as a cultivar, so yes, all Scarlet Belles are wrigleyana, but no wrigleyana is a Scarlet Belle, except for the cultivar itself. Wrigleyana is just a name given to the cross, like catesbaei and excellens.

S. x wrigleyana refers to any plant that is the result of a S. psittacina and S. leucophylla cross.

Sarracenia ‘Scarlet Belle’ is a cultivar of S. x wrigleyana. So all true S. ‘Scarlet Belle' are clones (genetically the same) and are, in fact, a specific, selected type of S. x wrigleyana.

Read more about them HERE.

Brilliant Joossa, thanks!

I think that S. 'Scarlet Belle' is a cultivar that specifically has the S. leucophylla as the maternal parent. S. x wrigleyana is any mix of S. psittacina and S. leucophylla, but almost always has S. psittacina as the maternal parent due to timing of when each flowers.

I know this is an old post, but I am very interested in this plant. Anyone have an opinion as to which version is better? Having the leucophylla or the psittacina as the maternal parent...

@starchy: not an easy question to answer because sexual propagation always results in variance, even if self crossing. the progeny especially of a hybrid crossing most likely fall into a bell curve distribution. the majority of the offspring will resemble a common blend of both parents, while an extreme few will exhibit a strong affinity to a parent. it really depends on what you're looking for,since we all have different preferences on what is considered to be a good looking plant.

I mean that the cultivar S. 'scarlet belle' was originally created where the leucophylla was the maternal parent. Being a cultivar, it now is propagated via vegetative means. S. x wrigleyana can be any cross of psittacina and leucophylla, but most often has psittacina as the maternal parent.

it's just a primary hybrid that got a clonal name. it's just Sarracenia X wrigleyana 'Scarlet Belle'

Back