What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy or not?

I just picked up 4 sars from a local nursery that were in death cubes. They're about 4 inches tall, in decent shape. I've started acclimating them to normal humidity. The question is should I put them in dormancy with the rest of my sars, or just leave them under light indoors this winter, then start them on the normal cycle next fall?

you can't just induce dormancy one day to the next, it's got to be done gradually, with photoperiods(sun) and temperature drops over a period of time. IMO i'd just put them under lights till mid/late february, then find a nice west or south west facing window until all the snow is melted) and next fall, let them go dormant like the rest of them.

I agree. What kind are they too?

There's 1 leuco 'tarnok' 1 judith hindle, 1 dana's delight and 1 unidentified rubra which I will need help with when it forms more distinct pitchers, although I'm sure it's the most common variety, whatever that is. Thanks for the help - I'll just leave them with the neps until summer.

Since death cubes are tissue cultured plants and are most likely still quite young, I would skip dormancy. I am doing this on my Sarracenia rubra and it is doing just fine. Just keep it warm and bright.

Back