What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judith hindle

• Thread starter naich
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cut
so i got a judith hindle(about 10 traps, and 4 in high) a few weeks ago, the tips had been cut off from the shipper and the tips(what was left) had slight browning, now half the stalk is brown, it gets watered evry few days....and has about about 15 oz of water poured on it a week(maybe more) its under two 6500k 2000 lumen tubes(12 inches away) and 2200 lumen spirals...12 inches away. day time temp is 80, night time 50's...why is its browning?

where do you live? in the US? most North American CPs require what is known as a cold/wet dormancy.
take your plant, and leave it outside. it will come back to life on its own once when spring sets in.

Well if you got it from a reputable seller the pitcher were cut off and brown because the plant is suppose to be dormant right now. Even for an active growing season, 6200 lumens is barely over half the minimum a Sarracenia will require but at 12 inches I doubt it's even getting that much. Also 15oz a week in a dry environment is no where near enough. Sarrs tend to prefer a near saturated medium, usually done by letting the pot sit in water 1/4 of the way up.

It would help us more if you could give us some more information so we can help steer you in the right direction.
How long has the plant been in your care?
Where do you live? (N,S,E,W part of state)
What medium are you using?
What kind of water are you using?

is this what your judith hindle is supposed to look like.
if so it should be dormant right now
IMG_0490.JPG

its a north american sarracenia, and needs its dormancy to remain healthy . should be outside year round,
like amphirion said , take it outside it will come back in the spring

If dormancy has already been broken for multiple weeks, trying to put it outside and re-enter it into dormancy will completely throw it out of wack. The question still is though how long has it been in your care. It'll be best for the plant to skip 1 dormancy then to try to fix it. Personally I would not follow the above advice...

yep french is right if it is out of dormancy totally it would probably kill it ,
sorry , how long have you had it , in and under the lights?
and again is it the one pictured above.
I think there is a judith hindle nepenthes isnt there?

If the plant IS in dormancy mode and IS indoors you need to go very easy on the water and keep the medium only moist, or you risk the chance of fungal infection due to poor air circulation. If the plant is outside year round you really don't need to worry about this.

Phil

inside...and these are the dormancy lights...you could say. they will all be added to pots and set outside in march ish.......im in coastal new jersey....

well..there is no such thing as "dormancy lights"..unless you are also maintaining 35-45 degrees F..
but if you have normal indoors temps, 70 degrees, then you have far too much heat and not nearly enough light..which means the plants wont hold dormancy, they will "break dormancy" and try to grow, without enough light..which is bad..

but since its mid-January already, its probably best to just leave them alone..
leave them where they are, under the lights, until Spring, then put them outside..
you dont really have any alternatives at this point..
they will probably be fine..

if they remain completely static for the next 2 months, dont change at all, no growth, but also no more browning, then you should be in good shape..you *want* your plants to do absolutely nothing for the next 2 months!
that would be good..

(just a tip for the future..never buy VFTs or Sarracenia in the winter! ;)

Scot

well..there is no such thing as "dormancy lights"..unless you are also maintaining 35-45 degrees F..
but if you have normal indoors temps, 70 degrees, then you have far too much heat and not nearly enough light..which means the plants wont hold dormancy, they will "break dormancy" and try to grow, without enough light..which is bad..

but since its mid-January already, its probably best to just leave them alone..
leave them where they are, under the lights, until Spring, then put them outside..
you dont really have any alternatives at this point..
they will probably be fine..

if they remain completely static for the next 2 months, dont change at all, no growth, but also no more browning, then you should be in good shape..you *want* your plants to do absolutely nothing for the next 2 months!
that would be good..

(just a tip for the future..never buy VFTs or Sarracenia in the winter! ;)

Scot

Do you mean never buy them in the winter unless they are from a reputable grower? There are deep discounts to be had since business is slow. If you don't mind purchasing a division that has no pitchers and looks terribly boring, winter time is a good time to buy imo. Of course, if you buy from a seller that is not the best grower and you are not informed of what the conditions were prior to the purchase, I think you have a good point.

Just my 2 cents.

Phil

How about: "Never buy VFTs or Sarracenia in the winter, unless you are an experienced CP grower, you know what you are doing, you fully understand and are able to deal with dormancy issues, and you also know if the plants you are buying are dormant or not."

that should cover it! ;)

sure, buying a dormant plant in January can be fine I suppose..
as long as you know its dormant, and you have a proper place to KEEP it dormant until you put it outside in the spring..but that is seldom the case it seems..

Scot

I agree!

Back