Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heli and ceph.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heli and ceph.

hello tf.
    i got some money for my birthday and i went on a little CP shopping spree. I bought a bunch of stuff, including a ceph and a heliampora minor. im new to these two and im looking for some advice.

i plan on growing them in a terrarium.
    my terrarium has a constant 85% humidity and is 70 degrees during the day and it goes down to 62 degrees at night. i have two floroucents on the tank currently. a 15ww t8 5500k and then a 40ww t8 6500k. i have my lights running for 16hours a day.

im wondering what soil media really works with these two.?
    ive read a few different things and some use open tray with just a little water, so does that work?
    and any other tips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the moment, I use cypress bark mulch and live LFS for helis and I use cypress bark mulch, peat, perlite, and quartz sand for cephs. There are many different potting mixes that people use that would also work.

I have used the tray method for both ( pots sitting a little bit of water), but I would not recommend it for others as there is a risk of root rot.

My general watering tips would be to water helis often and let cephs dry a little bit before watering again. In addition to reading the advice from others growers, I research how the plants grow in nature and try to duplicate the growing conditions the best I can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use 100% live LFS for helis, and 1:1 peat and perlite for cephs.
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    invest in some fans to help circulate the air. cephs HATE stagnant warm air.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to share the info, I also use a cypress bark mulch mix with live sphag on top, then for Ceph's its just a peat and silica sand mix.

good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my Cephalotus, I use one part peat, one part perlite, and one part sand. This allows the soil to drain very well, yet still keep the soil moist.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew my Cephalotus in a windowsill with humidity down to 15% during the winter and freezing temperatures. Over the years, I believe the main key to my success with the Cephalotus was a mild winter dormancy, or at least a decent temp drop at night. For soil, I used peat/perlite. I never have been a fan of sand, myself. But, you can do what you wish. As for Heliamphora, they seem to be rather fond of LFS.
    - NeciFiX

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast