What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cephalotus rooting

uphwiz

jimmy
Anyone have any progress pictures of their cephalotus cuttings/seedlings . im going to give it a try , and will take a few shots when and if they take.

i have a leaf pulling i took of a hummers giant before i sold it, it just now sent out 2 little white roots...not really wanting to pull it back up again to get a photo lol.....just stick em in some moist media and give em alot of light and wait....

Keep the pitcher full of (RO/rain/distilled) water, it will increase the chance it stays alive. That, or keep it at 100% humidity. Otherwise it has a tendency to shrivel/dry up.

I've had better luck in live LFS than in peat mixes for Ceph leaf propagation. However, live LFS isn't my preferred growing media. I used to repot at some point when I saw growth - however, the early disturbance caused me to lose some plants. Now I place some media in a pot then place a bunch of live LFS around the end of the leaf & stick it in the media. I've also switched to small clear pots so I can see the developing roots w/o disturbing them. I've had some ceph strikes actually go many months and send roots out the bottom of the pot before they bothered to send up any above-ground growth. This approach seems to meld the best of all worlds ... :-O

I have near 100% strike rate in perlite in a terrrarium. The perlite is approx 8cm deep and I maintain a water level of approx 1.5cm at the base. There's a layer of live sphagnum moss on the surface but I clear this out of the way of the cutting, so that it's just in the perlite. It's a small terrarium, lit with four 8W T5 fluorescent tubes (two 2700K and two 6500K), so the light intensity is not very high. There is a small circulating PC fan.

Picture002-5.jpg

@jim: hahaha. those were cuttings? i thought there were some sort of utric!

Here's my current Cephalotus leaf rootings. The first ones are in perlite:

'Big Boy':

bigboy.JPG

Group of 'Big Boy':

bigboys.JPG

Hummer's Giant:

hummer.JPG

Typical:

typical.JPG

Group of Hummer's Giant in live Sphagnum moss:

hummers.JPG

Here's my current Cephalotus leaf rootings. The first ones are in perlite:

So the substrate is just a sphagnum/perlite mix..? I'm still really new to all of this, so I'm trying to pick up as much info as I can. Learn as you go type of thing..

So the substrate is just a sphagnum/perlite mix..? I'm still really new to all of this, so I'm trying to pick up as much info as I can. Learn as you go type of thing..

Jim is using this as a propagation mix. You'll find that there are some mixes that are more conducive for propagating cuttings or seedlings. For an adult plant, a mix more similar to its natural environment would be used, e.g., a 1:1:1 mix of peat, sand, and perlite. Cephs prefer sandy soils that are fast draining. They do not like sitting in water.

-Hermes.

No, all but the last picture are leaf rootings in just perlite, the Sphagnum is removed from where I 'plant' the leaf.

For an adult plant, a mix more similar to its natural environment would be used, e.g., a 1:1:1 mix of peat, sand, and perlite. Cephs prefer sandy soils that are fast draining. They do not like sitting in water.
I find a mix of dried NZ Sphagnum moss, perlite, lime-free sand and peat to be a good mix for adult plants.

:hail:... good thing I ordered a potted plant. lol Guess I should run out and score some sand. That's the one thing I'm missing at this point. Thanks for the advice guys..

Back