What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph in APS?

just wanted to see what would happen,
and yeppers it's doing just fine. In fact she is spreading out already.

Pure APS
aps_hg.jpg

Av

what's the time lapse for this plant since you potted it? it's looking really good!

ummm i dunno, fall sometime... it was slow starting out, but picking up speed now.

It did require some root feeding, but all small cephs do IMHO
Av

100% APS? How often do you water? Top water only or tray of water? (inquiring minds want to know). :crazy:

top water, and daily :)

Did you get the APS at an auto parts store?

What is APS?

Did you get the APS at an auto parts store?

Jim, I use shultz brand APS or Plantcare brand APS,
(just depends on whatever is available at the time)

The Plantcare has just a touch of Zeolite in it as well.

Trueface is a good option, but where Im at its not easy to find. Oil-dri and kitty litter products can vary regionally. What may be a safe bet in one area can kill your cp's when bought in another area. Even though both are the same brand and "same" product.

Caveat emptor with those two products,
Av

Sweet! Wonder how a Ceph would do with the Semi-hydroponic orchid growing method in the Aliflor or LECA balls. I'm gonna be trying a Phrag. pearceii in semi-hydro and will have plenty of substrate left over.

Jim, don't use NAPA Floor Dry #8822 on CPs. It's great for succulents and is my sole/preferred medium for them but it killed all the CPs I tried it with in a matter of just a few days. Shultz APS seems to be a very safe product for CPs and aquarium plants (also succulents) in my experience with it. Last time I got APS it was $4.99 for 10 lbs in the pond dept at Home Depot and $17.99 for 10 lbs at a specialty garden center! :(
One TF member has told me they don't sell it in NC anymore or at least at her HD so you have to check your locations.

Sweet! Wonder how a Ceph would do with the Semi-hydroponic orchid growing method in the Aliflor or LECA balls. I'm gonna be trying a Phrag. pearceii in semi-hydro and will have plenty of substrate left over.

Jim, don't use NAPA Floor Dry #8822 on CPs. It's great for succulents and is my sole/preferred medium for them but it killed all the CPs I tried it with in a matter of just a few days. Shultz APS seems to be a very safe product for CPs and aquarium plants (also succulents) in my experience with it.

I hear ya. Thanks, Josh

My mix isn't pure APS, but about 75%. The rest is equal parts perlite and peat. The cephs love it!

Trueface is a good option, but where Im at its not easy to find.
Although it's labeled as 'Turface' on my bag ... :poke:

Jim, don't use NAPA Floor Dry #8822 on CPs. It's great for succulents and is my sole/preferred medium for them but it killed all the CPs I tried it with in a matter of just a few days.
Heard the same thing from 2 other cp growers... :nono:

Shultz APS seems to be a very safe product for CPs and aquarium plants (also succulents) in my experience with it. Last time I got APS it was $4.99 for 10 lbs in the pond dept at Home Depot and $17.99 for 10 lbs at a specialty garden center! :(
One TF member has told me they don't sell it in NC anymore or at least at her HD so you have to check your locations.
Nor is it available in the NJ area - anywhere I checked. The Turface All Sport has worked well for me (& appears visually identical to Schultz). $10-11 for a 50lb bag at Lesco distributors. Put your zip in on the left side to see if you have any local suppliers.

Although it's labeled as 'Turface' on my bag ... :poke:

You mean they don't custom blend yours?... you have to pay extra for the good stuff
Mine is quarried by 12 Polynesian virgins during the harvest moon, the cephs love it.

:hail:
Av

I have a Cephalotus growing in hydroponics (a bubbler) but I use 1cm rockwool cubes as the medium. I think that LECA would be too open due to the size of the spheres. Maybe a combination of Leca and rockwool would work? - my hydroponic Heliamphora seems to like that.

Back