What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sterilizing Sarr seeds

I have sowed plenty of Sarr seeds to notice that with each batch comes a death rate due to fungal attacks (that greenish blueish fuzz mold). Either before the seeds even germinate or before the seedlings become established some seeds always succomb. I have plenty of air circulation and use my anti fungal mixes appropriately but air circulation just cant reach into the deep nooks and crannies that LFS sometimes forms ...

Now I know that fungal spores are on the seeds even before harvest occurs but I'd like to know what methods you guys use for sterilizing your seeds (if any). I'd like to give a shot at a very diluted bleach solution method and have read various articles online so I thought I'd see if anyone here had experience with this? Any do's and dont's are much appreciated! Thanks.

Hmmm.....I try to germinate Sarr seeds in pure water, and after I see a small green sprout coming out of the seed I transplant it to 100% peat, and I have them growing well enough. Sometimes, mold is inevitable....perhaps try washing the planting medium you're using?

Hey Yann,

I've never sterilized my seeds because frankly I just have too many plus I never really saw the need. Sowing a lot is the best way to get a fair number of seedlings to choose from because for one reason or another, some just die. One thing I have found though is to keep the growing area a constant, very warm, 85 degrees 24/7. Mine have always done better when kept warmer around the clock. Allowing them to cool down at night has always invited fungus for me (even when using a fungicide). Just my 2 cents.

Fred

The fungal spores are gonna be everywhere, so sterilizing the seed will do no good. I'd switch to a different fungicide. Or try cinnamon.

perhaps try washing the planting medium you're using?

I dont encounter mold on the medium which is why I was wanting to just sterilize the seeds. I now use Fred's method (LFS method). LFS just seems to be more resistant to mold. Seems to inhibit growth at least. Of course there are always some bad patches but I just pick those out and apply some consan 20.

Hey Yann,
Allowing them to cool down at night has always invited fungus for me (even when using a fungicide).

That's probably what's doing it then. My temps hover around 80 all day, I've never checked what they dip to at night but my heater is set to 70 so I'll assume that's as low as it gets once all the lights go out. I know the Bugweed method is to leave all the lights on 24/7 I'd rather not give me entire collection (since the all are on the same timer) more than 2-3 weeks of a 24/7 photoperiod. Though it can promote flowering, no sleep can be harmful in the long run for developed plants. I wonder if the lady friend would let me expand...again hahah

Back