What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This will be the first time I've taken sarracenia through dormancy, and after repotting and splitting over this last weekend, I was incredibly happy to see that they were all still alive. I am happy to finally be able to participate in the flower watch this year, but, due to my location, must say that it won't be for a little while still. Darn Cleveland weather, stays cold way too late...

My S.purpurea and my mom's "Dana's Deleight" are sending up two flowers each. :boogie:

flava rubricorpora:

P3100016.jpg

You can definitely tell which parts got more sunshine.

I went out to check my plants a few hours ago and finally have my first flower bud of the season!!! Hopefully the first of many this year.

I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow. I have to say I was pretty surprised to see one already here in Indiana.

leucophylla 'antho free' = 1

flava rubricorpora:

P3100016.jpg

You can definitely tell which parts got more sunshine.

You beat me to the first posted flowers of 2010! You and your slightly warmer weather! ;)

Muahaha!
Here's my alata being *done* with flowering...

P3100019.jpg

S. x catesbaei x3
S. 'Judith Hindle' x2

No pictures (yet!), but last I counted, there are about 30 buds.

And four of them got broken off by those danged 'coons. :rant:

6 - ! [;
2 -'Judith x Hindle'
1 - Leucophylla X Alata 'Green'
1 - Oreophila X Flava
1 - Alata X Minor
1 - Unknown #1, "The Wip"

Weird, some plants that flowered last year, aren't flowering this year.. :[

Still no opened flowers, but they're coming along nicely.

mar2010-bogbench03.jpg

:jaw drops: nice brokken!!! nice!

Are you guys planning on making any interesting crosses this season?

I want to cross my oreo with my excellens (leuco 'red' x minor okee giant)....

Joosa: I plan on crossing purp purp with purp venosa, if they both flower this year... another i want to cross is flava flava and oreo.

I have no idea if there are natural pollinators out here, because I think I'm going to leave mine to their own devices.

I have no idea if there are natural pollinators out here, because I think I'm going to leave mine to their own devices.

Not in the west coast no. According to Peter D'Amato, the bees don't know how to work the flowers here and our species of bombus are not familiar with sarracenia flowers.

Not in the west coast no. According to Peter D'Amato, the bees don't know how to work the flowers here and our species of bombus are not familiar with sarracenia flowers.

I don't know whether I buy that explanation, even from D'Amato. During the Sarracenia flowering / growing season, I rarely saw flowers which were not constantly explored and/or visited by bees; and, rather than being "unfamiliar" with some given floral anatomy, pollinating insects are far more commonly driven by phyto-chemical cues or UV "markers."

Also, some of those ill-advised introductions of Sarracenia to the wild in California saw no difficulty with pollination and even some cross-pollination . . .

Well, all I know is I haven't seen a single bee/hummingbird visit my Sarrs yet, so I don't know what I'll get. Maybe just random self'd seeds...

Btw, Brokken: wowsa, nice Sarr garden!

Are you guys planning on making any interesting crosses this season?

I want to cross my oreo with my excellens (leuco 'red' x minor okee giant)....

I'm gonna try to cross my Wilkerson's Red with my Antho free Leuco.

Back