What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i got a rubra gulfensis green x rubra jonesii green that i plan on crossing with something, not really sure yet, still got some time...

and i got about 30 or so flower buds starting to emerge from various Sarrs.

~billy

I don't know whether I buy that explanation, even from D'Amato. During the Sarracenia flowering / growing season, I rarely saw flowers which were not constantly explored and/or visited by bees; and, rather than being "unfamiliar" with some given floral anatomy, pollinating insects are far more commonly driven by phyto-chemical cues or UV "markers."

Also, some of those ill-advised introductions of Sarracenia to the wild in California saw no difficulty with pollination and even some cross-pollination . . .

I agree. I'm probably a bad example, but I live in WI, and we have lots of purps in the northern 1/3 of the state, but I'm probably at least 100 miles from the nearest purp. I get lots of bees, Bombus and others, that enter and exit the flowers. Everything I've ever let nature do the job on has resulted in a full seed pod.

I have a flower! Also is it considered cheating if you fold back one of the little spiky leaf that make up the dormant bud to look inside? :p I didn't expect any this season because I got all my sarrs for free/shipping last summer. I wasn't even the one I expected to be the most likely to flower. (The S. purp. ssp. purpurea, but who knows it could flower too.) It is the unknown seed-grown flava hybrid I got from pyro last year! Thanks for the the mature plant again!

My two Dana's Delight are flowering, this is very exciting for me. ^^

Here are a few shots of my Heliamphora pulchella, now beginning to bloom. I have had that plant long enough to recall when it was simply a "hairy form" of H. minor. Its flower stalk had been growing through another Heliamphora -- and it took some doing to remove it without breaking anything . . .

Heliamphora pulchella -- March 2010
HPULCHELLA-2.jpg

HPULCHELLA2.jpg

Spring is coming soon! I'm starting to see pitchers pushing up! So exciting! :-O

Here's my flower count:

S. oreophila "Alabama": 5
S. x "Black and Red": 1
S flava var. ornata: 1

Indoors:
Godzuki x1
alabamensis x 'Hummer's okee classic' x1
unknowns x2

Outdoors:
wait till late May

Here are a couple pics of my s. alata x minor with flower. It is being grown in a terrarium. Enjoy!

s_alata_minor_flower_1.jpg

s_alata_minor_flower_2.jpg

Bigbella, beautiful Heli!

wow BigBella! That's a fantastic H. pulchella!! I honestly don't think I've ever seen any pics of others as big and red as that!! beautiful!

Rubra And LadyBug! Still Early In the Season Though :)
104.jpg

105.jpg

wow BigBella! That's a fantastic H. pulchella!! I honestly don't think I've ever seen any pics of others as big and red as that!! beautiful!

Thanks, all!

But I cannot take credit for the climate here, which allows me to grow them outside . . .

If I remembered them all here's what I have this season.

S. 'Moorei' -- 2
S. flava var. cuprea -- 3
S. flava var. flava -- 2
S. 'Cobras Nest' -- 1
S. leuco x rubra spp. gulfensis -- 2
S. rubra ssp. wherryi -- 1
S. flava. var. ornata -- 1
S. "Godzuki" -- 1
S. 'Leah Wilkerson' -- 1
S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. brukeii x ?? -- 1
S. alata (Red) X flava (veined) -- 1
S. alata "Maroon throat" --- 1
S. ('Golden Red Jubilee' x leucophylla) --- 1
S. 'Mardi Gras' --1
S. 'Reptilian Rose' --- 1
S. 'Cronus' ---1

And yes, marvelous Helis BB!! Placing my first order for my first Helis soon FIIIIINALLY

Joosa -- I remember one of your thread about Judith Hindle not flowering for you. This is my 3rd year with it and I have yet to see mine flower as well! The rhizome on it is gigantic but no flowers yet.

Whoo, finally joining the club~

1 Unknown (alata x rubra/rubra x alata or alata?)
2 S. alata Southwest LA
1 S. leuco 'Tarnok'

Ok finally did a count or at least wrote them down:

1 - S. rubra ssp alabamensis (3 year old bugweed method)
2 - S. 'Dixie Lace'
3 - S. x readii
4 - S. oreophila "Sand Mountain #2"
13 - S. leucophylla
2 - S. flava
7 - S. "Dana's Delight"
1 - S. rosea
1 - S. purpurea ssp venosa
3 - S. 'Tarnok'
2 - S. 'John's Autumnal Splendor'
1 - S. minor
1 - S. minor (3.5 year old from Dunecraft kit seed, partial bugweed method)
3 - Darlingtonia californica

Yet again, a few plants managed to escape division and re-potting this year. Whadya goin' ta do?

Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor

HELHETXMINOR.jpg

Sarracenia x areolata
SXAREOLATA.jpg

Incredible helis BB! What do you do with them in winter? You can't keep them out year round, can you? That H. heterodoxa x minor always looks fantastic for a seemingly very root bound plant.

Incredible helis BB! What do you do with them in winter? You can't keep them out year round, can you? That H. heterodoxa x minor always looks fantastic for a seemingly very root bound plant.

Thanks . . .

I keep them out year-round in Northern California, though usually cover them when we experience frost or rare temperatures in the low thirties.

For my tastes and experience, root-bound is the way to go for Heliamphora . . .

Bigbella: HOLY HELI's BATMAN!!!!

rubra wherry
P3170252.jpg

rhizome sale unknown sarr
P3170253.jpg

Sorry 'bout the flash, but thez_yo has a day job which isn't cp's :crazy:
(but the flowers really are blood-red red)

I agree, exceptional Helis, BigBella! :clap:

Joosa -- I remember one of your thread about Judith Hindle not flowering for you. This is my 3rd year with it and I have yet to see mine flower as well! The rhizome on it is gigantic but no flowers yet.

Same thing here! After they got over their pest problem in summer they did just fine and were quite prolific. I divided them and got tons of divisions, leaving the biggest ones with me. However, none of them are showing signs of flowering. Keeping my finger crossed, though! :)

Back