What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr seedlings; when to uncover

Thanks again for all the prior advice. My Sarr seedling count is now 7 or 8 (out of ~25) so my yield isn't great, but for a first-time-ever attempt, I'll take it. The seeds were the ones Travis (Pyro) harvested and adnedarn sent out in packets; they're a mix from around 80 or so different Sarr species.

At what point should I put holes in the saran wrap (they have plenty of air in there) to start acclimating them to lower RH? They were in stratification in the fridge for 6 weeks, and have been under a strong fluorescent for about 4 weeks. If after 4 weeks there's still a good chance more will germinate, can anyone suggest a time line for this?

i pretty much uncover mine as soon as they germinate

I germinated about 60 different crosses of Sarrs seed in Jan. They all geminated in 10 to 27 days with the average being about 15. If mine don’t geminate in under 5 or 6 weeks, I usually pitch them but if they are germinating, I usually leave them covered until they have their 1st or 2nd pitcher. The seedlings below are still covered.

1002508750x564.jpg

Um.... I'd say that Fred P knows what he's doing!

I usually wait until the majority (your judgement call) have at least 4 pitcher leaves. By that time all that are going to geminate have usually done so. Runts get culled out later.

YEAH! Good job Veronis...awesome pics Fred!

Hey Fred P just wondering what you use for soil mix when germinating your sarracenia. Also what method do you use for stratification. Also do you start you indoors and if so under what lights as your look like they are growing much faster then mine and they germinated in Jan as well.

Thanks again for all the prior advice. My Sarr seedling count is now 7 or 8 (out of ~25) so my yield isn't great, but for a first-time-ever attempt, I'll take it. The seeds were the ones Travis (Pyro) harvested and adnedarn sent out in packets.

Don't feel bad Veronis, I had a packet of those seeds as well and you beat my germination rate. Only 5 of those germinated for me. I just think they weren't that viable to begin with. You did great for your first time.

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

Um.... I'd say that Fred P knows what he's doing!

Thanks Jim. I've had a lot of practice (trial & error) over the years and it just comes natural now.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

Hey Fred P just wondering what you use for soil mix when germinating your sarracenia. Also what method do you use for stratification. Also do you start you indoors and if so under what lights as your look like they are growing much faster then mine and they germinated in Jan as well.

I usually use 100% finely chopped Live sphagnum for a mix but this year I was short on space and needed to pack a lot of seed into a much smaller growing space so I ended up using a 50/50 mix of screened sphagnum peat and crushed perlite. As far as stratification, I use the wet paper towel method in the fridge. I always start them indoors under regular 48 inch 40W florescent bulbs. The trick is to keep them warm 24/7 at about 80 to 85 degrees and keep the lights as close as possible. I posted a thread in the ICPS forum on this same topic and will give the link again here. http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=sarracenia&thread=949&page=1 As I said, I only changed up my method this year due to my space issue.

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

Well said, Jim....

We need some additional threads on growing Sarrs from seeds!

Thanks. Check out the link above. The germination method is about half way down in this link. If there are any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Fred: I recently read your ICPS thread on how you use the acrylic containers. Is this your usual method? The image tied to this thread on TF does not look like they're in those containers. Do you prefer one method over another?

I recently attempted my first Sarr germination and ran into all sorts of issues, largely due to mold. I used 50/50 peat for half of the seeds, and 50/50 topped w/ chopped dried sphagnum moss for the rest. The moss turned to a nasty looking mush, and the peat/perlite grew a mold. Granted several of them are growing but slower than they should. Hopefully my next attempt utilizing some of these practices will prove more successful.

Thanks for the info!

Fred: I recently read your ICPS thread on how you use the acrylic containers. Is this your usual method? The image tied to this thread on TF does not look like they're in those containers. Do you prefer one method over another?

I recently attempted my first Sarr germination and ran into all sorts of issues, largely due to mold. I used 50/50 peat for half of the seeds, and 50/50 topped w/ chopped dried sphagnum moss for the rest. The moss turned to a nasty looking mush, and the peat/perlite grew a mold. Granted several of them are growing but slower than they should. Hopefully my next attempt utilizing some of these practices will prove more successful.

Thanks for the info!

No problem. Yes, the “acrylic containers” is my usual method and you are right in that I didn't use them this year. I had a lot less space to work with this year than in previous years so I decided to use the 72 cell trays with covers. I was going to use the live sphagnum again but I already had this 50/50 mix ready to go so I just used it instead of chopping up the live stuff. I only did it to save me time. The results however were just as good as the live stuff. I just have a lot more seed crammed into a small cell. All I have to do though is pull the whole plug out and drop it in water. All of the seedlings will fall apart and separate. I can't say yet which method I like better until they are actually out of the cells but so far, I like how this one is saving me space. The one negative about using the 72 cell tray is that you have to be very careful not to mix any seed between the cells. With the acrylics, it was one cross per container and it kept everything all nice, neat and separated.

The one way I have found to keep fungus and mold from growing is to get the seeds sprouted and growing as fast as possible and I do this by keeping the temperature up (80 to 85 degrees) 24/7 around the growing area. The sarrs love the heat and respond with faster germination and growth plus it seems to keep mold and fungus from generating. If you can bottom heat the trays - all the better.

Great info, thanks.

At about what size do you transplant the Sarr seedlings into larger containers?

Great info, thanks.

At about what size do you transplant the Sarr seedlings into larger containers?

Well it really depends on how much time I have but I try to do it after they have about 3 or 4 true leaves/pitchers but I have waited up to a year sometimes due to time limitations. I grow a lot of seedlings every year and unfortunately, some get neglected. I have found though that they respond to being stepped up into larger pots which is why I try to do it sooner rather than later.

I finally uncovered them about a week ago and they started to color up nicely. I think I’m liking this method just as much as the other (so far).

1002538750x564.jpg

1002540750x564.jpg

1002541750x564.jpg

1002542750x564.jpg

Don't feel bad Veronis, I had a packet of those seeds as well and you beat my germination rate. Only 5 of those germinated for me. I just think they weren't that viable to begin with. You did great for your first time.

That does make me feel better actually. I was wondering what I did wrong.

I finally uncovered them about a week ago and they started to color up nicely. I think I’m liking this method just as much as the other (so far).

They're looking really good. :)

I just uncovered mine today after holes/bigger holes over the last week; they're all working on second pitchers.

@Fred P. : WOW, those are looking good! Did you mist the seedlings (prior to taking that photo)?

That's a fine line between forest and Sarr seedlings LOL Looking great as always Fred!

wow Fred, that is something. I am speechless. :hail:

hey fred i was wondering what your watering technique is. Also how do you go about hardening them off when you move them outside.

Back