What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fast pointers in keeping cephalotus

Hi all

Just very quickly...

I know these don't like bog soil they like water but it must drain through them ?

Can they take tap water, or is it best to stick with RO & Rain water ?

As for keeping are they much like VFT in the way that they want a lot of sunlight ?

Do these need dormancy like a VFT and the temptures - they can take.? I am in zone 8

Is there anything else I should know, thanks peeps in advance.

Noddy

Very interesting reading... Av8tor1

but is have a question spagnum moss peat is that the same as the peat I use for VFT, or rather can I use the same peat I use for VFT.

Charcoal Wood... can I ask how you get this in the gardening world as in aquatics we get it in small pellet form. Can the aquatic version be used?

I have my other pitcher plant on aquatic pebbles so as to keep the humidity

That was the only question I really had in the media mixes...

This will be 2010 challange ...

All advise welcome Noddy

noddy on the charcoal wood note. i recommend it. ive had my ceph for almost a month and it seams to be really thriving and i have it in a charcoal mix.

Cool that's at 5% ratio I take it's in pellet form that you have it in as mixing large chunks not easy to work with

30% spagnum moss peat
25% Coir (specifically Canna coco as this contains Trichoderma)
10% sharp sand
25% perlite
5% wood charcoal
5% chopped live spagnum moss

id also recommend topping it with LFS to keep humidity around plant at a decent percent

I grow mine on a window that gets ~7hours direct light a day, in a 4" tall pot, with 1" tall water saucer that I refill once it dries out. The mix I grow it in is 1 peat: 2 perlite. I think I've heard of other people keeping theirs in a mix of 1inorganic to 1organic....something like 1sand/perlite/charcoal : 1chopped lfs, but that just always looks too wet to me (and mosses over real fast).

Neglect it and it will do well. That's my ceph philosophy in a nutshell.

I use a mix of equal parts dried LFS and perlite, with approximately 10% peat and lime free sharp sand. I added a very small amount of wood charcoal (crushed additive free BBQ charcoal) to the mix. They are doing really well in this. I stand mine in a tray of rain water and under flourescent lighting (mixture of daylight and cool white). As Nepfreak mentions above, don't fuss over them.

I had one a few years back that I kept in 2 parts sand blasting sand and 1 part peat. I kept it outside during the summer and it di real well, then my dog broke loose from his chain and devoured it.

Neglect it and it will do well. That's my ceph philosophy in a nutshell.

I agree. I had several Cephalotus before and I constantly messed with them. I ended up killing all of them. I bought one several months ago, and I don't mess with it at all. It's now sending out a new pitcher every week.

Keep the soil moist (but don't constantly water it) and keep it in a bright location, and it'll do just fine

Back