What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!! what is this???

so my sarracina who was flourishing planted in pure peat just got transfered to a large pot of peat with a swainian pitcher plant(sarr not nep)......last week a vft leaf came up all gnarled and deformed.....that same plant just stoped growing traps all together. Now my judith hindle(the repotted one) is shriviling up! the top leaf shriviled half way up one day and now two days later half the pitcher is indented and all dried out.....this mouring i drenched the soil...and i drench it almost daily....plus it has a top dressing on spangnum moss. And just now i relised two other small pitchers have the same problem....all my plants are in a fish tank right now...and will be till late april when i can place them outside.........i think its aphids...but i cant tell......any advise?????????????????????????

Wait, you planted your Neps and Sarrs in the same pot? In straight peat? With VFTs? It's really hard to understand your description. It doesn't sound like aphids from what I can tell.
~Joe

By any chance, did the peat that you used have a wetting agent added?

Hermo may have a point: Some of the peat you buy (especially in smaller bags) is enriched with fertilizer which could cause the roots on your CPs to burn and the plant slowly wilts away to nothing. Check the peat.

... with a swainian pitcher plant(sarr not nep)..
What is a "swainian" pitcher plant?
....this mouring i drenched the soil...and i drench it almost daily....
In a terrarium? You may be overwatering them....
...and will be till late april when i can place them outside.........i think its aphids...but i cant tell....
What is making you think it's aphids? Aphids & many of the other critters that eat CP will be visible upon close inspection. Look closely & take clear, well-focused pics of what you see - & post them on the forum. Even if you don't see anything, post pics of the plants. Also, respond to the others who have suggested that you potted w/ a Miracle Grow contaminated media (& consider using spell check - it will aid communication)

Swaniana = swaniana I assume ie. purpurea x minor.

How long have you been putting them in the fish tank for the winter?
if its over two years, they are perhaps dying from a lack or dormancy..

Scot

picture will be up later today.

i bought them two months ago. So they have only been in there for two months. There are many diffrent species in the tank itsself. But they all have indivedual pots exept the sarrs and vfts. I have the (infected judith hindle in with the swainian.(they sahre a pot) No neps at all. And i thought it may have been aphids because they cause leaf deformation.

also i cant be over watering them...i have seen some people grow them fully summerged in water.

Also the peat is the touburous peat that comes in a huge 50 lb bag for like 6 bucks at lowes. The bag is green and white and was reffered to me a by someone on the forums. Its not miracle grow.

Wetting agents are usually glycerin based soaps of some sort. It should be rinsed out. It is used in smaller bags of peat moss to keep the peat moss moist. A consumer isn't likely to buy a bag of soil that is rock hard or with rock hard chunks.

Many people use the Premier bales of peat moss that Lowe's sells. As I recall the photos of Ozzy building his bog showed the very same brand being used.

There are many other pests that cause shriveling damage to leaves that are difficult to spot. Mites and thrips are common culprits. Take a 10x magnifier and inspect your plants. Do not confuse springtails with mites or thrips. Springtails move quickly often jumping away with aid from the lever on their tails which give them their common name. Mites have eight legs.

Scale insects or mealy bugs are other common pests. This are easy to spot if you know what to look for. Try a Google image search.

Use a miticide for mights and a systemic insecticide for thrips. A systemic insecticide should take care of thrips, mealy bugs and some scale insects.

You are watering with distilled or reverse-osmosis purified water, correct? Any chance that the temperatures gone sky high (usually a closed tank exposed to direct sun or too close to lights).

also i cant be over watering them...i have seen some people grow them fully summerged in water.

Wrong; you're jumping to conclusions. Just because some people grow them submerged doesn't mean that will work with your level of light, regional weather, or potting setup. Compare the reported "best" medias that various people use for Nepenthes; some people swear by just long-fibered Sphagnum, while for others potting their Neps up like that is a death sentence. Watering depends on media, which depends on air conditions, which depends on light, which depends on watering (and all the other combinations you could make out of those factors.) Unless your conditions are virtually identical in all respects, you shouldn't expect the same results.
~Joe

Yeah you totally can be over watering them. I highly doubt you saw people grow theirs completely submerged in water. They aren't underwater plants; hence they would die from root rot. Moist has a big difference from completely submerged.

one the members from here had a pic thread of sveral summerged plants. And i have heard many times that sarracina oreo get placed underwater starting in june till the fall so that it can keep its pitchers throughtout the summer in hotter climates. Yes it has worked, and no it may not work for me. Anyway the plant is fine now. It was @ sarrs in one pot. No neps.....

Timmy didnt you just have dozens of people just fill your vft post a while back with corrections and mistakes you made........maybe you shouldve done research before you posted that....and this.

Insert popcorn eating emoticon here

And so it begins.....

thumb_MichealJacksonPopcorn.gif

how's this? sorry had to chime in

Yep, that works...thanks SpyCspider.

The best thing I've found to grow cp in is live sphagnum. The second best is dried long fibered sphagnum. The reason why I say this is not only because of 30 years growing experience, but because the sphagnum has certain properties that allow for excellent cp growth, especially for the roots.

Back