What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph pics.....And then there were 3

My ceph was getting a little big for its pot so I decided to split it up. I did this about a month ago, and the original plant and the 2 divisions seem to be doing well.

original plant after division
RSCN0361.jpg

division number 1
RSCN0372.jpg

division number 2
RSCN0368.jpg

Are they potted in those stones, or is that just a top layer to keep the moss down?

Are they potted in those stones, or is that just a top layer to keep the moss down?
the stones are just to keep the moss down. They're growing in a 2 parts lfs, 1 part perlite, 1 part sand.
I use the stones on my vft's also. My sarrs are in live sphagnum and my neps have a top covering of orchid bark.

Very nice look to the stones and moss. Very zen; like a little island of ceph. :)

Very nice.

What do you do about when new growth points pop up? I imagine they'd have a hard time getting through the stones?

The stones are the small size aquarium stones and the new growth has no problem pushing thru. The stones are good for leaf cutting also. I push the leaf through the stones, barely touching the media underneath. The stones help support the leaf, and when it comes time to transplant the cutting you just push the stones aside and take the cutting with some of the media covering the roots. I'm a big fan of the aquarium gravel. The stones retard the growth af algae/moss, helps retain moisture and the dark stones help retain the heat. The dark stones don't get any hotter than plain dark soil, but when the sun sets(or lights go off) the soil stays warmer longer. Most tropical plants seem to grow better in the warmer soil. Of course this has now affect on plants that grow under household lights and are in constant room temperature, but plants grown on windowsills really seem to like the stones the most

Wow, after that, the stones seem like a great idea!

I employ a similar method on most of my nepenthes to keep mold growth at bay, but instead of aquarium gravel I use vermiculite. Although vermiculite might contain trace amounts of minerals, I have yet to see any adverse effects, and the vermiculite has a little more natural look, as well as a finer grain. I would certainly like to try the gravel though, especially with a larger plant. Definitely a method I like to use.

And by the way, really nice Cephalotus!!

Nice plants. Take winter leaf cuttings whenever possible.

Back