Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rhizome notching

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rhizome notching

Looking for info on how to stimulate new shoot formation along the rhizome by notching. Interested in when to do it, how to do it, and why you'd do this compared to dividing the rhizome via cutting or breaking. Thanks...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason for doing it is that a particular section of rhizome may not have any growing points or roots - by notching it, you can stimulate new growing points from the rhizome while still being attached to the parent plant. The way to do it is to simply make a v-shaped cut perpendicular to the long axis of the rhizome. If it's too shallow, it'll simply close up, so make sure that it's significant.

Having said that, I have found a better method: When I am cleaning bogs, instead of cutting the dead pitchers I pull them off the parent plant. This has the effect of tearing and cutting into living tissue and stimulate new growth. This procedure is not for the faint of heart and you may wish to try it on sarras which you have spares of.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done both the notching method as well as Brokken's over the years and either route will eventually work. The notching is a bit more predictable than simply uprooting older pitcher leaves; and each notch almost always produces new growth (when I wished to have seven cuttings of "Schnell's Ghost," I ended up with seven).

The method is best used earlier in the season (during late winter dormancy or early Spring), upon re-potting . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have better success entirely severing the growth point free rhizome. I made a post about it: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=117586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info, guys!

I have a question about the notching... Should the V-cut be oriented like in my drawing below? How wide and deep should the notch generally be? Should I be able to see the bright white innards of the rhizome when I made the notch?

Thanks!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to do a whole post on this subject but you guys saved me the time.

Quote Originally Posted by joossa View Post
    Great info, guys!

I have a question about the notching... Should the V-cut be oriented like in my drawing below? How wide and deep should the notch generally be? Should I be able to see the bright white innards of the rhizome when I made the notch?

Thanks!
    Joossa - the pics below are of some notching I did a month or two ago. I did about eight different rhizomes but here are a few so you can see how deep they are and how I planted it in the media.

This was one piece of rhizome I used.

And this was another piece after the notching.

This was the first rhizome from above notched and planted in the media.

Now I'm just waiting for growth.

I use Brokken's method all the time for stimulating new growth along the rhizome of potted plants. I only use the notching method when I have extra chunks of rhizome with no crowns on them.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Above the media? Interesting. I always bury mine back down to where any still-attached points are just emerging from the soil line.
    Who thinks what about depth of notches? I've heard people say that you're supposed to cut half or more than halfway through, but then when I looked around the pretty ICPS articles I read said that something on the order of 5mm was called for. In my experience, most Sarr rhizomes are more than 10mm thick, so...
    I've also had success with scars on the rhizome from pulling live leaves. I don't know if I've ever been so bold as to just cut rhizome with no leaves into sections and trust that they'll all take, though.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast