What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new ceph hummers giant

hi everyone i just got my first ceph I was a little Disappointed when I saw the plant I spent quit a bit of money on it and it was very small.

The cephalotus is smaller then a quarter with about 4 little pitchers smaller then a pencil eraser

My question is do you think this is a standard size from a nursery? How long until it grows its first mature pitcher? I would post a photo put I don’t know how.

Thank you for your time

ok so a year wow i was hoping for at least one mature pitcher when i got the plant ooo well i how it grows up fast.

thank you petmantis

I've seen HG's about the size of yours with one adult pitcher just started, go for around $125-$175. So depending on what you paid, it may have been a good deal. These plants are indeed slow growers, though well worth the wait.

I've seen HG's about the size of yours with one adult pitcher just started, go for around $125-$175. So depending on what you paid, it may have been a good deal. These plants are indeed slow growers, though well worth the wait.

ok hearing this makes me feel a litte better. thank you for the info.

I bought a Hummer's Giant with 3 or 4 juvenile pitcher a couple of years ago. It has been putting out adult pitchers for the last year or so and I have struck 7 or 8 leaf cuttings from it.

I paid £6 ($9) for mine. I wish it was easier to sent plants to the USA from here... I could make a fortune :grin:

I don't have Hummer's Giant, but cephs just require a bit of patience when they are immature. Give 'er some time, and you'll be rewarded for your waiting. They are worth it.

Hi all I just noticed that tree small pitchers have started to turn light brown. Is this normal?

Hi all I just noticed that tree small pitchers have started to turn light brown. Is this normal?

you may want to back down on the water a little bit..

die off is expected...when i got my ceph, 2 pitchers died within a week after (but considering the fact that there were 15+ pitchers to begin with....)

cephs are very similar to helis in that they like high humidity but need to be well ventilated and kept cool. mine seems to be very content with highlander conditions. and while you're at it, Av8tor posted on a thread comment that cephs seem to gain nutrients primarily from the roots, not traps. max sea ferts at quarter strength of the recomended dose (perhaps even smaller if you want to play it safe) would probably jump start your ceph. just remember to flush the pot with a good amount of dH2O the day after.

Hi,

A photo would help with the diagnostic.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

A photo would help with the diagnosis.

thank you for your help

A photo would help with the diagnosis.

i dont know how to post photos in this forum.

My ceph lost 3 small pitchers and two leaves, but is sending ip two new growth points rather fast......must just be a ceph thing. ???

die off is expected...when i got my ceph, 2 pitchers died within a week after (but considering the fact that there were 15+ pitchers to begin with....)

cephs are very similar to helis in that they like high humidity but need to be well ventilated and kept cool.
I don't find that Cepahalotus need high humidity or to be kept particularly cool. In fact, unless you are careful with ventilation, high humidity and cool temperatures will cause rot. The environment that Cephalotus come from is quite different to that of Heliamphora. Mine get whatever temperature and humidity he room is at, which varies significantly during the year.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

thank you for your help

i dont know how to post photos in this forum.
Upload the image to a photo hosting site, such as http://tinypic.com/, resizing it to 800 x 600 then copy the
code created and paste it directly into your forum post. Every hosting site has its own way of working and terms and conditions so you might want to familiarize yourself with them.

thank you moble for the help. here is the befor photo and a few after.

1zgrfcz.jpg

this is one week after geting the ceph

1zcfxna.jpg

2pywdty.jpg

zugnrn.jpg

20p8u1k.jpg

so if any one has any ideas of what could couse this.

Cephalotus can 'sulk' a little when put in a new environment. It's not unusual to lose a few pitchers on a plant that has been in the mail. The leaves look glossy, which is a good sign. Cephalotus leaves tend to go dull and flaccid when the plant is in trouble.

Cephalotus can 'sulk' a little when put in a new environment. It's not unusual to lose a few pitchers on a plant that has been in the mail. The leaves look glossy, which is a good sign. Cephalotus leaves tend to go dull and flaccid when the plant is in trouble.

ok thank you for your advice. is any of it, color that the plant is geting?

Your plant is approximately the same size as my Hummer's Giant that I received two years ago. Mine now looks like this:

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

The only concern that I would have with such a young Cephalotus is the danger in keeping it too wet. At that age they are particularly prone to mold and rot . . .

so about how often should i water?

Back