What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MidnightSkies

animal lover, aquarium and CP enthusiast
I haven't been around here much lately due to life getting more hectic and stressful, but my lurker self is still growing plants. Darlingtonia is probably my favorite plant that I have. Almost one year ago exactly I started with 2 plants from two of the death cubes that have a pitcher, sundew, and flytrap. They decided to only have a short dormancy in the basement this winter and already have a flower up and are completely awake. These plants absolutely LOVE the basement though. There's now easily 10+ plants in this pot. I planned on dividing them, but they woke up too early for me. Well, on to the pictures!

picture020.jpg

picture017.jpg

picture022.jpg

picture011.jpg

The only problem I've had is that I have a hard time getting the pitchers to turn red without over heating the plant. Temperatures should be good enough for it to go back outside soon.

great pics, and i agree, darlingtonia is amazing.

Darlingtonia are tricky plants to grow and you seem to be doing a fine job.

Wow, nice cobras!

nice. Darlingtonia!!! Nice sunny yard !! I think you should move the D.Binata outside :)

Thanks everyone! The darlingtonia are a little bit more of a pain in the summer when I have to keep an eye on the wind, add ice cubes, and bring them in when it gets way too hot until the temperature drops, but they are pretty interesting plants. During the summer we get a pretty good temp. drop at night to between 40-60 so they love it. As you can see, I live in an extremely open area, so they're in the sun ALL day.

The D. binata will be going outside with the darlingtonia once the weather decides to be nice. Of course with the warm temperatures we get heavy rains and strong winds (a cousins trampoline that was tied down ended up lifting up, going over their fence, hitting the neighbors roof, breaking a window, and land upside down in the pool). Then this week we're getting below freezing dips again. Lovely weather up here...

Looking good! Mine all croaked over the winter, but seeds I saved and sowed just germinated.

i cant grow darlingtonia for my life. i only have 1 of my 3 still growing. yours are really beautiful. i envy them

I'm too scared to grow these plants even though they are amazing!

I got a 3 year old plant last fall. She's putting out 2 pitchers right now. I also have a few seedlings that I planted in the winter that sprouted! Nice plants by the way!

Back