Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Helioamphora vs cephalotus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have become somewhat familliar with what most people consider a good soil for cephalotus (a peaty, coarse mix that stays moist but drains well), but what soil mix is usually reccomended for Helios? Is it different than the soil used for cephs?
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    I have become somewhat familliar with what most people consider a good soil for cephalotus (a peaty, coarse mix that stays moist but drains well), but what soil mix is usually reccomended for Helios? Is it different than the soil used for cephs?
    Heliamphora generally like something a bit more "open," a compost similar to those used by Nepenthes growers. I have used various mixes over the years, but generally prefer a combination of live sphagnum moss, pumice, and perlite. Other growers swear by cypress-based mixes -- and I never argue with success . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    Heliamphora generally like something a bit more "open," a compost similar to those used by Nepenthes growers. I have used various mixes over the years, but generally prefer a combination of live sphagnum moss, pumice, and perlite. Other growers swear by cypress-based mixes -- and I never argue with success . . .
    So Helios are grown pretty much like highland Neps......if so, I would think that this would make them easier to care for than cephs considering that soil and water preferences seem much more clear.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    So Helios are grown pretty much like highland Neps......if so, I would think that this would make them easier to care for than cephs considering that soil and water preferences seem much more clear.
    I currently grow both under the same conditions. The weather in the San Francisco Bay Area is similar to that of Albany, Australia (the home of Cephalotus) and, strangely, also that of high-altitude Venezuela, Brazil, and SE Asia (that of Heliamphora and Nepenthes). Highland conditions; for that matter, my Cephalotus and ultra-highland Nepenthes -- N. macrophylla, N. villosa, etc. -- happily grow alongside.

Since I don't have the time to regularly futz with the plants, I leave them to their own devices. It's the simplest solution; though, as I have already said, I have grown them under differing conditions -- but that requires more attention and time that I do not possess . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From simply answering the original question I would side with Hel's. If you provide them with there requirements you should have no problems with them. Now with all the species out there this question is muddled some depending on what species we are talking about.

However, if you provide Ceph's with there requirements you might still end up losing 1 in 20 plants for no good reason.

On the other side of things, if you are not going to give them everything they require and try to cut corners, Ceph's are easier IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    From simply answering the original question I would side with Hel's. If you provide them with there requirements you should have no problems with them. Now with all the species out there this question is muddled some depending on what species we are talking about.

However, if you provide Ceph's with there requirements you might still end up losing 1 in 20 plants for no good reason.

On the other side of things, if you are not going to give them everything they require and try to cut corners, Ceph's are easier IMO.
    Thanks, this is the kind of answer I've been looking for.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Flycatcher's 1st & 2nd posts in this thread also make me realize how tenuous a position I may be in & this makes me even more thankful for my current status w/ these plants. Otoh - there seems to be a similar issue with Heli's as shown in this thread (see comment by A. Fleischmann). These remain two reasons (among others) why I continue to use Trichoderma ....
    I wonder if anyone has tried using cinnamon (a fungicide) when one of there Ceph's start this. I've used it with orchids with good success when I end up with rotting due to user error.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    I wonder if anyone has tried using cinnamon (a fungicide) when one of there Ceph's start this. I've used it with orchids with good success when I end up with rotting due to user error.
    I have found neem oil solutions (Garden Light Neem II is a current favorite) to be a far more effective fungicide than cinnamon or sulphur (both of which I have tried). Also, I have used it on a number of genera -- Nepenthes, Heliamphora, Cephalotus, and Sarracenia -- without any damages or loss . . .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast