User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what species/hybrids are YOU planning on making this season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I self pollinated all the flowers my S.purpurea , so hopefully I will get some seeds this year.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly have no idea how to pollinate a cross, or even how to collect seeds from a plant. In all my years of growing these plants you would think that I would have done this by now but I never have learned how to do it. I've got a bunch of flowers up right now. I'll post pics in a minute.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably leuco x alata if I can get the pollen into the leuco 'Tarnok' flowers. Or, if pollen is still available, 'Dana's Delight' x alata. Either way, it's going to be an alata cross.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by F R e N c H 3 z View Post
    If you're not wanting seeds from your S. leuco you can just cut the style (the upside down umbrella structure) off where it meets the ovary when the flower opens. Collect your pollen by tapping the flower and shaking the pollen off onto aluminum foil.

I have a few flowers so we'll what will sound the best. Some of lookers could yield some nice offsprings. Any ideas?
    S. 'Reptilian Rose'
    S. 'Moorei'
    S. 'Moorei #2'
    S. 'Leah Wilkerson'
    S. alata (black) x flava (veined)
    S. 'Golden Red Jubilee'
    Hey Yann - I crossed RR with LW (and visa versa) last year and have seedlings growing now. They did not yield a ton of seed though. Why don't you do that cross and maybe between the two of us, we could get a couple of interesting plants. I would also try to cross that moorei of yours with RR if possible. The only problem I found with RR is that it didn't produce much pollen (if any) on both flowers last year. I have three flowers this year so we'll see. I would be interested to here how much pollen yours produces. I would also try the moorei #2 x (alata black x flava veined) or moorei #2 x GRJ. Both of these plants have produced some nice hybrids for me. You never really know what you're gonna get so just experiment.

I'm going to be crossing "Bud Wilkerson" x 'Leah Wilkerson' (and visa versa) this year along with a bunch of others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this year i tried Courtii all green x Readii all green. lets see what happens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might try 'Judith' x Rubra Gulfensis...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred P View Post
    Hey Yann - I crossed RR with LW (and visa versa) last year and have seedlings growing now. They did not yield a ton of seed though. Why don't you do that cross and maybe between the two of us, we could get a couple of interesting plants. I would also try to cross that moorei of yours with RR if possible. The only problem I found with RR is that it didn't produce much pollen (if any) on both flowers last year. I have three flowers this year so we'll see. I would be interested to here how much pollen yours produces. I would also try the moorei #2 x (alata black x flava veined) or moorei #2 x GRJ. Both of these plants have produced some nice hybrids for me. You never really know what you're gonna get so just experiment.

I'm going to be crossing "Bud Wilkerson" x 'Leah Wilkerson' (and visa versa) this year along with a bunch of others.

Thanks Fred, those do sound like promising crosses. The trick will be the flowers opening close enough to each other, hopefully no more than a week or two apart. The LW flower has been very slow and the Moorei is aborting one of the 2 flowers. I'll collect as much pollen as I can and store it in the fridge and hopefully it'll remain viable long enough. I'll let you know how the RR pollen turns out. Thanks for the suggestions Fred, I'll give those a shot!
    Still finding a few new flowers here and there coming up. My death cube rubra ssp. rubra is flowering so looks like that answers the question about tissue culture plants and flowering.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan on making cultivar of VFT with Piranha at teh end....

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

I second that F R e N c H 3 z

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast