Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Ants in my pants!

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help! Ants in my pants!

So one of my giant mini bogs is infested with very small black ants. I think I already lost my judith hindle and my 2 Sarracenia alata Sam Rayburn Resevoir, TX clones

I noticed they would be growing fine and then the growth would just flop over similar to if the plants were drying out. Eventually I dug up the rhizome and saw ants swarming underneath and inside the rhizome... with freaggin ant eggs to boot! I've tried washing the rhizomes, replacing most of the dirt, and even have some Torro traps on the surface.

For anyone that has gone through this... is there anything I can do? It is really frustrating watching part of your collection waste away. Never knew ants could do this!

Phil

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick! plant a million sundews!

Have you tried conventional ant killer? I think with something like ants, traps and stuff that target individual ones won't work. You have to slaughter them at once. I don't know how that effects sarrecenia, but maybe if you use something organic?

Good luck though, hope your plants survive!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did put down some Torro ant traps but it really does seem to be out of control. They are everywhere. Ironically the hunter becomes the hunted... or something like that.

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they're the kind of traps I'm thinking of, they won't work instantly. You have to wait for them to take the bait and share it with all their buddies to kill off the colony.

Is it possible for you to dig everything up and put it somewhere else for the time being?

Edit: Just searched those traps. They're not the ones I was describing, which are these.
    Give those a shot, they've always worked really well for me.

Edit 2: Actually, I'm not sure if those would be Sarr safe. Maybe someone else knows.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya yellow -

I did some research and it seems other people have used them ok with Sarrs and even Neps. I did relocate some of the plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried a simple flooding of the pots? Assuming you want to get rid of the ants without chemicals, making it to wet is the next best way. If you place the pots with colonies in so that they water level forces them to the surface you can even kill the queen(s) if you wanted.

Just curious but do ants actually harm the cps? I have never seen local ants kill any plant and some even need ants to pollinate/plant their seeds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I can't prove it 100%, but there is a strong chance the ants were the reason for decline. There is nothing else that would have made brand new growth from my Stone Co, MS alata simply flop over. When I dug the rhizome up and saw ant eggs embedded in the rhizome... I was pretty sure I knew what I was dealing with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah okay. I was curious because here most ants are harmless, down south they are extremely invasive pests in many cases. Sounds like you may even be dealing with Argentine ants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast