User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing Cephalotus follicularis on a Vertical Wall?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how will you be watering the Cephalotus? is there are return system? looking good btw!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-06-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: N. A.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool idea . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far I have been adding water to the mud at the bottom, it is wicking via the mud to the peat mix and up the wall. I'm also misting the wall about once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    how will you be watering the Cephalotus? is there are return system? looking good btw!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-06-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! I tried growing a Cephalotus like that once...however, it ended up dying by drying out. I still haven't given up on the idea and I think this is an really fun thing to try. Good luck!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-06-2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: N. A.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, thats a really cool idea, I would add some Tillandsia or some Drosera.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-06-2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time for an update I think.

The Drosera spilos gemmae are now approx. 1/4" to 3/8". Most if not all of the gemmae sprouted which was very surprising since my temps are high (due to summer) and the humidity is low. There is no dew on them thou.

The Cephalotus quickly put out a winter leaf Now its working on some pitchers! For 1 1/2 months the growth has been very nice for a divided plant or any Cephalotus for that matter. Remember this division had little to no roots when it was planted.

So far I'm happy with this little tank, its still barren but things are starting to grow.

Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-06-2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: N. A.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RSS,

For long term, it would be better if you water from the top and allow the water to flow down the slope. The wicking would cause minerals to be deposited on the media surface over time. From what I saw when I was at the cliff-side, there was water dripping/running off near the base of the slope.

Commendable effort, by the way. I had wanted a similar set-up but never really got started.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my camera stuff out again so I thought I would update this again. I have been watering "some" from the top/slopes down as recommended. I getting a more attractive moss in the lower humidity but I still can not stop growing moss.....

With luck I will have a 2nd Cephalotus in there by fall, the cutting Cephalotus is growing me a new one right now.

The Drosera are actually catching some food for themselves, I'm surprised they were able to get enough dew to do this.

They are eating the babies of these guys, who have made this tank there nursery much to my wives dislike. Here is one resting on a Cryptocoryne parva leaf, the C. parva is growing at a good pace for a Cryptocoryne.

Here is one of the dews.

And the Cephalotus much larger now you can still see the old leaf from the last photo.

A better photo of the entire setup.

Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-06-2011 at 04:25 PM. Reason: N. A.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast